Highs and Lows

During the 37 years that Bill and I have been together, we've experienced many ups and downs.  All marriages have their good times and bad times.  All people experience highs and lows in their lives.  God has never promised that life will be easy, but He does promise that He will always be with us.  When we turn to Him in times of great joy, He is there rejoicing with us.  When we cling to Him during times of great sorrow or turmoil, He holds us tight and doesn't let go.

In order to demonstrate God's faithfulness to us, I've decided to list some highs and lows that Bill and I have experienced, along with examples of God's provision during those times.  Please note that this is not an all-inclusive list, or I would need to write a book right now.

When I had Mononucleosis, God provided loving parents to care for me for many days at home, and a loving fiance' who drove back and forth from college every day to see me.  Then, when the fatigue remained much longer than it should have, God gave me Bill's steady arm to help me as I limped along through life.

When we moved to Michigan, far from our families, God provided wonderful friends who became like family to us.  When I burned my hand so badly that I had to put off finding a job for several weeks, God still gave us everything we needed to survive, even though we were lacking sufficient income.  And, again, Bill was there to comfort me when the pain was almost unbearable.  When I found a job at Benson Optical, packaging and mailing glasses to the customers, God made sure that I got to know Lois, the office manager, whose husband was the principal of Trinity Lutheran school there in Traverse City.  A few months later, when the school needed teachers, Lois insisted that I apply so I could use my education and the talents God had given me.  As I taught kindergarten there, God provided mentors who helped me learn to be a good teacher.

When we decided to buy our first house, God provided a large fixer-upper that we could afford, located in an open field that reminded us of Nebraska.  And when we needed to sell the house four years later so we could move back to Nebraska, the house sold for our asking price in only three weeks, at a time when nothing was selling in Michigan because of 18% interest rates.  Only God could have made that happen.

By God's grace we survived a head-on collision at 50 miles per hour.  That day, our friend Johnny had asked to borrow our car for a "hot date."  No one has ever asked to borrow our car before or since.  We lent the car gladly, and drove our big, red pickup to Bible study that night.  Being in the pickup, rather than in the smaller car, probably saved our lives.  Although Bill rarely wore his seatbelt,  he buckled it that night.  As we were driving home, another car, filled with Junior High kids on their way home from a penny carnival, crossed the center line and hit us head on.   As I regained consciousness after blacking out briefly, I was immediately aware that I was praying and that God was there with us, assuring me that everything was going to be alright.  I didn't panic when I realized that Bill was unconscious next to me.  I was so calm in the ambulance that the bystander who was sitting with me scolded me for not worrying about all those kids in the other car.  I didn't feel stressed when the police officer questioned me later, because I knew him quite well; his daughter was one of my kindergarten students.  Miraculously, everyone survived.  The kids in the other car survived without injury because the many cakes they had won in the cakewalk cushioned them during the accident.  Bill had a skull fracture, but no lasting effects of traumatic brain injury.  I don't know why God didn't prevent the accident, but I do know that He was there with us the entire time, helping and healing.  Some might say that the large insurance settlement we received after the accident was also sent by God; we were able to use the extra money to insulate our house and buy a new furnace that we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

When we battled infertility, God provided doctors who were able to help.  I became pregnant not once, but twice, when God blessed us with Erin and Meagan.  When I failed to become pregnant again, God led us to adopt Victoria.  We first saw her picture on the Nebraska Health and Human Services website.  After filling out pages and pages of paper work, attending endless classes on adoption, and meeting with many adoption workers, we were chosen to be her parents.  Later, we found out that our family was one of over one hundred that applied to adopt her.  As a young child, Victoria needed siblings close to her age, so God led us to provide foster care for several children whose memories remain in our hearts.

When Bill wanted to start his own business, God led the way.  He remained with us during the many ups and downs that come with a new business.  Even when the business was losing money, God provided everything we needed.  Now, when the business has become stable and prosperous, God's guidance is still apparent.  Because of Bill's business, God has given us the opportunity to travel to places we had been longing to see, and he has kept us safe during our travels to places like Jamaica, China, and India.  He continues to keep Bill safe when his job takes him all over the country and the world. 

God provided me with a series of part-time jobs, first babysitting, then teaching music and art, then substitute teaching and teaching preschool, so I could stay at home with the girls most of the time.  When I needed a full time job, God provided the most challenging job of my life, working as a Lutheran daycare director.  The demands of that job prodded me to call upon God daily for his guidance and strength.  I learned many things in that job that helped prepare me to raise Victoria and Levi, and that added to the solid foundation that helps me every day in my current job as an early childhood educator for the Gering schools.

I had only been teaching in my current job for a month when one of my students, Levi, needed a foster home for 30 days.  Talk about being in the right place at the right time!  Now, nearly four years later, Levi has settled in as a permanent part of our family.  Although we always intended to adopt a second child, we didn't plan Levi's adoption--God did!

We have lived through Bill's and Victoria's many surgeries with God's help.  God was with us when we searched for answers that finally led to a diagnosis of Erin's asthma.  God held us up during the dark years when I battled constant allergies, chronic sinus infections, and extreme fatigue, until I was finally diagnosed with asthma, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia.  God provided his peace in the face of a diagnosis of my meningioma, an inoperable, benign brain tumor that remains in God's hands.  We thank God for modern medicine that can ease so many health conditions.


With God's help and comfort, we survived the brutal murder of Bill's brother, Jim, on our thirtieth wedding anniversary.  We lived through 2009 and into 2010, the "years from hell," when it seemed like everyone in the family was dying.  First, Bill's mother died suddenly after several years of poor health.  Then, within two months, my nephew and niece were killed in separate accidents.  Finally, my young great-niece died after a year-long battle with cancer.  We were able to keep in touch with family and offer comfort and support through Facebook, which has been a tremendous blessing that was first utilized because of overwhelming sorrow. 

God has provided great opportunity for ministry in all of the churches we've attended.  Over the years, we've participated in nearly every aspect of church life: Sunday School, VBS, and other children's ministries, women's ministries and men's Bible studies, building committees and worship teams.  When I could no longer play the guitar comfortably for more than a song or two,  I was able to pick up Bill's old bass and learn to play it so I could continue to "make a joyful noise" during worship.  We've lived through good times and times of turmoil in the churches we've belonged to, until finally God has brought us again to a place where the people truly care about Him and about each other.

There have been many times when we could have given up.  We didn't, not because we didn't want to, but because God gave us strength and comfort when we needed it.  He remains faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid