That Icky Orange Stuff

My friend, Nancy, suggested that I write a blog about Merthiolate.  If you're younger than fifty, you probably don't have a clue about that icky orange stuff.  I hadn't thought about it in years--some things are best forgotten.


Merthiolate, and its cousin, Mercurochrome, were common antiseptic solutions that used to be applied to skinned knees and minor cuts.  They were watery liquids, bright orange in color, that killed germs.  Unfortunately, that drippy antiseptic stung, a lot, and smelled bad, too.  The telltale orange stain remained on your skin for days until it finally wore off. 

These days, kids are quick to run to any available adult whenever they have the least little scratch, in hopes of receiving a Band Aid decorated with a picture of a favorite cartoon character.  Trust me, when I was a child, kids did not mention minor injuries, for fear of that nasty Merthiolate.  We might have been more willing to receive First Aid if Band Aids had come with pictures on them then, but I really doubt it, since the application of Merthiolate usually hurt more than the original injury.

When I checked online to see if Merthiolate is still available, I found that it is still used in places like Mexico, and occasionally as a surgical antiseptic even in the U.S.  I was surprised to find out that poisonous mercury is the main ingredient in both Merthiolate and Mercurochrome, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that neither one is used much anymore.  Additionally, studies have shown that these two antiseptics actually slow the healing process.  So, you see, we kids were right: Merthiolate and Mercurochrome really were nasty and ineffective.  So there!

(Thank You, God, for Neosporin.)

Comments

  1. You're so right. We would rather just grit our teeth and deal with the pain than risk Mom or Dad going for that little brown bottle in the medicine cabinet!

    I'd forgotten all about Merthiolate. Thanks - I think.

    Phil -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what I found in the medicine cabinet in Jamaica?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid