Reflections on Blogging

As I look back over fourteen months of blogging, I can say that it has been a very positive experience for me.  At first, I had so much to write about that I had to limit my posts to twice a week.  I really didn't have time for more than that, and I found myself staying up too late at night to finish my writing, so I forced myself to show some restraint.  By now, seventy-five posts later, I've written a lot of the family history that I wanted to record for my children and grandchildren, and I've touched on several topics that are important to me.  Now, I usually limit myself to one post a week during the school year.  Sometimes, I even find myself searching hard for a new topic that interests me enough to make blogging about it worthwhile, and that is interesting for my readers, as well.  I will always welcome suggestions for blog topics.

Writing a blog is a risk for me, because I am normally a very private person. I've had to step outside of my comfort zone to share some things, even though those things are definitely worth sharing.  However, there are some things that I just can't write about, because they seem too personal for me to share, or because the stories are not mine to tell.

I've found that my blogs with pictures are always read by more people than blogs without pictures.  My post entitled "The Nursery," about getting grandson Tobin's nursery ready for him, has been the most read of all my posts.  I don't know if it's because everyone loves babies, or because nursery design is a popular topic right now, or because I included several pictures of the murals we painted on the nursery walls.  Whatever the reason, three times as many people as usual have read that post from January, 2012.

I've discovered that more people read my blogs in the winter that in any of the other three seasons.  It's nice to know that so many of my readers enjoy outdoor time away from their computers, weather permitting!  (I do, too.) 

I've always enjoyed statistics, so I really like viewing the information that is available about the people who read my blog.  I can't access the names of any specific people who read my posts, but I can see how many have read it today, or this week or month, and for all time, and I can access a map that shows me where my readers live.  Although the majority are from the U.S., I've been surprised to find that people from Europe and Asia have accessed (and, hopefully, read) my blog, several hundred times.   (Or, perhaps, they glance at it, only to find that it isn't at all what they are looking for, and move on.)  Anyone can take advantage of a feature that will translate my words into any language they desire, so that makes any blog readable for anyone, anywhere.  I hope the translations make sense, idioms, and slang, and all!

For most of my life, any writing that I've done has been purpose-driven, usually for a job or a class that I was taking.  I found that I enjoyed the process, and the feeling of satisfaction gained when I completed my assignment.  Writing a blog is so much better than the previous writing I've done, though, because I get to choose my topics and style, and I don't ever have to include footnotes.

I appreciate the readers who take the time to comment about my writing, or who simply indicate, on Facebook, that they "like" a particular post.  Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to read what I write, and for your input when something I have to say strikes a chord with you.  But, whether anyone reads my blog, or not, I plan to keep on writing. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid