Favorites

Last night was our first fall choir practice.  I think that my son-in-law, the choir director, decided to try out one of his high school mixer activities before using it with his English and German students tomorrow on their first day of school.  I wasn't the only one who groaned at Andy's suggestion that we mingle and ask several of our fellow choir members some questions, so we could get to know each other better.  We asked and answered only three questions:  What is your favorite song?  What was your favorite class in high school or college?  What is your favorite hobby?

It wasn't a bad activity.  In fact, it was kind of nice to find out a little more about the people we sit next to, week after week, as we fine-tune the songs we'll sing for Sunday worship services.

It's just that I have trouble coming up with only one favorite for any category.  Even when I was a young child, I couldn't choose just one favorite color.  By the time I was in high school, I settled on purple when I was forced to answer that question.  But, the truth is, I have many favorite colors--yellow, blue, red, and purple are at the top of the list.  There was a time when I would say "any color but green," but that is no longer true.  I love the many shades of green found in nature.  It's just hotel green, also known as institution green, that turns my stomach.  (It was bad enough that the bedroom I shared with my brother, Dan, at the Oxnard Hotel, was painted that color, but when we moved to the Mary-Etta in Fairbury, our whole apartment was that same bilious shade of green--even the carpets and drapes.  It took me a long time to recover.)

I'm glad that Andy didn't ask us to name favorite books, because I would be hard-pressed to name a single favorite.  If we designated one genre of literature, or if we had to name a favorite author, I'd have an easier time, but I still couldn't pick just one.  Children's books alone would present an amazing array to choose from.  Dr. Seuss is certainly one of my favorite authors, but I also love Where the Wild Things Are and the pigeon books, like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and countless others.  I've read the Chronicles of Narnia a dozen times.  I adore a good mystery.   Some of my Christian friends would not hesitate to name the Bible as their favorite, but, to me, the Bible stands alone; it is so much more than a mere book, that I can't include it in my "favorite book" category.

It's even harder for me to come up with a favorite song.  In my lifetime, I've heard, played, and sung hundreds, or even thousands, of songs.  I love music of all kinds.  At any given time, I have several songs stuck in my head--songs I sing with the kids I teach, songs from the radio and, especially, songs of worship from several centuries.  If I started listing favorites, I'm afraid that the list would go on, and on--and on.  It's just like those Lay's potato chips,  I can't eat (pick?) just one.  Music is such a wonderful gift from God that I'm sure he wants me to treasure way more than just one song in my lifetime. 

As for a favorite class, it is easier for me to choose a least favorite:  P.E., Phys. Ed., gym--by any name, it was always the class I dreaded.  (Physical Education philosophy and practice have changed tremendously in the decades since I was subjected to endless dodgeball.  I think I might even enjoy P.E. the way it is taught now.)  High School Chorus was a favorite, along with Biology and some English classes.  In college, I was intrigued with a Psychology class; some of my Early Childhood Education classes have been great, too.  However, my favorite classes, by far, were the theology classes (Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, Beginning Greek) that I took at Concordia University.  I've always regretted not getting a minor, or even a major, in theology.  However, at that time, my college adviser refused to let me pursue either of those avenues, insisting that a woman would have no practical use for those classes.  I still think that he was wrong about that!

I'm a little uncomfortable answering questions about my favorite hobby.  Even that word, "hobby," seems a little odd to me; the word itself seems to trivialize things that are really very important.  And, is a hobby something you do often, whenever you have a spare moment, or is it something you love to do, but are able to do rarely?  I have to assume that both are true.  When I was young, I always said that reading was my hobby because I read voraciously, sometimes reading as many as three or four good-sized books a day during the summer.  I've always liked to hike in the country with my family and friends, so I guess that could be called a hobby, too.  I like to go camping and canoeing and cross country skiing, even though I don't get to do any of those very often.  Here at home, I like to care for my yard and pond, as long as the weather isn't too hot or windy.  I like to create artwork and projects of many kinds, especially when I can share a creative activity with young children.  I used to say that playing my guitar was a favorite hobby, but I've been glad to substitute the bass in recent years, since arthritis limits my guitar playing these days.  Leading worship, whether by playing an instrument or singing, has always brought me great joy.  I like to keep up with friends and family on Facebook.  And I love writing my blog and writing songs.  Once again, I can't pick just one favorite.  It's impossible!

So, how did I answer Andy's questions last night?  #1.  Too many songs to pick just one.  #2.  Theology.  #3.  Caring for our pond.  Those were definitely the short answers.

I'm so glad that God has given us the ability to enjoy, even savor, so many marvelous things in this world.  I suspect, if we probed further, we would find that most of the choir members could make lists just as long, and varied, as mine because, just like snowflakes, God has made each of us to be complex and unique.  To God Be the Glory!  (Yes, it's one of my many favorite songs.)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid