Football Fever

It's that time of year again--football season!  And, throughout Nebraska, so many people are wildly, madly passionate about their Huskers--and here in the panhandle, about the Denver Broncos, too.  Football fever spills over into the local venues, as well, with whole communities coming out to support their local high school football teams.  Football draws people together every fall.  As the temperatures finally begin to moderate, and evenings are downright chilly, people gather together for tailgate parties and televised games.  Houses and businesses throughout the state fly their teams' flags proudly.

I still remember attending my first high school football game when I was a freshman.  That may have been the year that Husker fever exploded throughout our state; until then, no one paid much attention to Nebraska football games, which were never televised, anyway.  Until then, I hadn't really watched any football games on TV, so I knew very little about the game.  I had joined the high school pep club, which meant that I wore my bright gold sweater and short, red, pleated skirt, with gold knee socks and saddle shoes, to every game.  Along with the cheerleaders, members of the pep club chanted every cheer.  My more knowledgeable friends patiently explained the game to me.  The drum majorette twirled flaming batons at halftime, as the marching band performed intricate routines on the football field.

It only takes a few of my fingers, on just one hand, to count how many losses Fairbury's football team sustained during the four years I was in high school.  Those guys were GOOD!  They were always in contention for the state class B championship.  It was great fun to cheer for a winning team.

At the same time, the Nebraska Cornhuskers were becoming a dominating force in college football.  On Saturdays, every radio was tuned in to the game.  Before too long, we were watching the Huskers play on TV.  My Uncle Lyle, who worked as a county extension agent for the University of Nebraska, and my Aunt Ellen, who was employed as a food service director for the University, always had season tickets to the games.  Mom and Dad went along to some of the games and, one year, our whole family went to a game at Memorial Stadium.  During my high school years, the Huskers vied for the national championship every year.  Nebraska football was always exciting.

This year, our daughter, Victoria, is following in her older sisters' footsteps, playing the flute with the Gering marching band.  Last Friday night, Bill and I, with Levi, went to Gering's football game so we could watch Victoria march and hear the band play.  Levi was really excited about going to his first football game.  It was a beautiful evening.  The home stands were full.  The band played well.  The concession stand (Levi's favorite part of the experience) was busy.  Gering's football team lost.

I'm spoiled, I know.  I'm used to supporting winning teams.  There is nothing quite like the thrill of watching your team slam in one touchdown after another.  Long punt returns and seemingly impossible passes are even more exciting to watch.  It's exhilarating to watch a successful last ditch effort that ultimately wins a close game.  And sacking the other team's quarterback?  Now, that's something to cheer about!

These days, I rarely watch football on TV.  I don't imagine that I'll ever recapture the thrill of those high school years, when all of the games were important and exciting, and most of them were won.  Still, I can look forward to many more high school football games and, win or lose, the camaraderie and excitement are still there.

So, bring on the marching band and the cheerleaders, the popcorn and hot chocolate, the team mascot in his hokey suit, and those enthusiastic football players.  There is nothing like a rousing high school football game on a cool Friday night.  Maybe I'll see some of you at the football stadium this fall, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid