A Gift of Hope

It seems like I know so many people who are hurting.  So many people, so many reasons for their pain.

Some of the pain is physical--aching bodies, caused by disease or injury or age.  Modern medical practices can help alleviate some of this pain, but not all of it.  It is said that "time heals all wounds."  Well, I think that time helps heal many injuries and medical conditions, but not all of them.  Some people have to live with chronic pain.  I've been there-- I know what that's like.  Those of us who have lived with daily pain may learn to revel in the occasional pain-free days (or hours) that come our way.  We don't take good health for granted any more. 

Mental or emotional pain, caused by the cares--no, the trauma--of life in this world, that's harder for us to understand.  We grieve when a loved one dies.  That's normal.  We grieve over lost jobs, lost relationships, lost innocence, lost material possessions.  That, too, is normal.  We empathize with others who grieve--to a point.  Then, we are likely to urge them to get on with life, move past what is gone, and look to the future.  It's so easy for us to second-guess another human being's grief.  But it can be so hard for those who grieve to let it go.  A few seek help from friends or family or therapists.  Many hide their feelings, withdraw into themselves, live with their depression.  Medication helps some.  Others seek refuge in alcohol, illicit drugs, and reckless lifestyles.  They have no reason to be careful when life doesn't seem to be worth living.

I am tired of hearing earthly platitudes, like "I'm sorry for your loss."  Such words may be offered sincerely, out of genuine concern, but those words offer no hope!  I wish I could wrap up a gift of HOPE to give to each person who grieves.  When life seems hopeless, and pain threatens to overwhelm those who suffer, I would like to infuse their lives with joy.  I can offer words of comfort and a listening ear; I can send cards and bring gifts of food; I can give real help, and even monetary assistance.  But, however hard I try, I can't take away the pain.  I can't supply that precious gift of hope.  Only Jesus can do that.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid