Stretch

Have you ever noticed that sometimes, when we stretch our bodies, our muscles seem to breathe a collective sigh of relief, but at other times those same muscles seem to cry "Stop!" because of the agony that results from lack of use?  At times, stretching our bodies feels so good, but sometimes, it just hurts!

I think the same can be true when God asks us to stretch spiritually.  We like to stay in our ruts, doing things the same way we've always done them.  But sometimes, God asks us to try new things.  Sometimes, he expects us to do things that are a little uncomfortable or even just plain hard.  So, when we sense that God is leading us to do something we haven't done before, do we jump for joy, shouting "Oh, boy, it's time for a challenge!" or do we moan and procrastinate and complain that our spiritual lives are stagnant?

Sometimes, I think we act like one of my children (who shall remain nameless) who, when offered an unfamiliar food, says "I don't eat that!"  This means, "I've never eaten it before and I refuse to try it now, even though you think I will like it."  When God presents us with new opportunities, how often do we refuse to even try because we are afraid of the outcome?  For all we know, that new opportunity may bring us more joy than we can imagine.  Even difficult tasks can bring great reward.  Certainly, the hardest things in life can bring us closer to God, and that alone can make anything worthwhile.  But that doesn't mean it will be easy.

Right now, I know that God is asking me to step out of my comfort zone to do a couple of things that will require me to cling to him, trusting that he will guide me every step of the way.  It won't be easy, not at first.  But he will make it possible. 

It's time for me to stretch again.  How about you?

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  Philippians 4: 13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid