Senior Status

In high schools and colleges all over the country, hundreds of thousands of newly-minted seniors are rejoicing in their long-awaited status.  Finally, they have reached the pinnacle of their education; king of the hill, top of the heap, whatever you call it, they have reached a major goal in their lives.  Seniors, at last!

On the other end of the spectrum, those of us who first attained senior status a few decades ago are approaching senior status of another kind.  A few may be rejoicing at the thought of impending retirement from jobs that have become drudgery.  Some look forward to extra time with grandchildren or the chance to travel to previously unknown locales.  But some us are feeling more than a little confused.  When does senior status begin, anyway?

When I'm asked by some teenage checker in a restaurant or grocery store if I qualify for the senior discount, I'm forced to ask that question:  "How old must I be to be considered a senior?"

I wonder why the answer varies so greatly.  I can join AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) at the age of 50, but I can't retire with full Social Security benefits until the age of 66 years and two months.  Other so-called "senior benefits" begin at every age in between.  So, at what point do I become a senior citizen?  Do I get to choose?  And, more importantly, if I decide to color my graying hair, will those upstart checkers stop asking that annoying question?

I know several people my age who consider themselves to be old.  And, perhaps they are.  Conversely, I know several people in their seventies and beyond who are so young at heart that they will never truly grow old.  Age must be more a state of mind than a particular number.

Sure, I have a few twinges of pain here and there, and more grey hairs and wrinkles than I care to admit.  These days, my preschool students are more likely to mistakenly call me "Grandma" instead of  "Mom."  But even though my teenage daughter teases me often about my age, I don't feel old at all.  How can I be old when I have two half-grown kids to raise?  How can I be old when my own parents and father-in-law are still alive and active?  How can I be old when I know that God has so much more for me to do in this life?

A senior at last?  Not yet.  I just hope that Bill and I decide to embrace senior status at the same time, far in the future.  Otherwise, one of us is destined to be married to a (gasp) senior citizen.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Jeremiah 29: 11




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid