Good-bye to the Gering Preschool Class of 2014

Where has this month of May gone, anyway?  Where has this school year gone?  Today was preschool graduation, my last day with students until August 14th.  Most of them are moving on to kindergarten in the fall, and a handful are just moving--to Scottsbluff or Morrill or Oklahoma.  Ten or eleven of my current students will be back in my afternoon class next year for pre-K, their last year before kindergarten.  But most of next year's kids will be new students.
Kids Going to School -
The walls look so bare without our students' unique paintings and collages, since we've already taken down all of the kids' artwork and sent it home.  Our morning students loved playing in shaving cream today.  They didn't know they were actually cleaning the tables--after all, shaving cream is just soap.  The kids helped pull up the masking tape that marked their designated seats on our area rug; one little girl cried because removing her name from the carpet made this day seem so final.  I know how she feels.

In the meantime, my aides and I still have a lot of work to do this week.  We need to reorganize our storage area, sort our class library books back into their proper bins, clean off the counter and put things away, move our outside toys and bikes inside from our less-than-secure outdoor storage enclosure, move all of the furniture off the tile floor onto our small carpeted area so the floors can be stripped and waxed.  Then, I will print various reports, help assign new and returning students to their appropriate preschool classes for next year, attend yet another meeting or two, clean off my desk, rearrange the furniture in my office area so it works more efficiently for everyone, and make some plans for next year.

I'll need a few days to recuperate from these last few weeks of assessments, field trips, and program practice.  Then, I'll be able to shift gears and think about my summer schedule.  I have eleven weeks to catch up with personal projects that have been put off until summer vacation--a lot of spring cleaning and sprucing up at home, working in the yard, ferrying the kids to their summer activities.  Little Evie's bedroom needs a mural.  And Levi thinks his room needs a mural, too!

I'm ready for summer vacation, but I suspect I'll be ready to get back to school when August rolls around again.  At least, I hope so.  Change is always a challenge, isn't it?



"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid