Feathers and Flies

As I was pulling the pillowcase off a pillow a little while ago, there was a sudden eruption of feathers.  Feathers billowed everywhere, all because the side seam of the aging pillow had split open.  So, I spent a few minutes gathering up the feathers and stuffing them back into the pillow.  I'll have to sew up that seam before I put on the clean pillowcase.

Feathers are wonderful in their place, on the back of a goose, or safely inside a feather pillow, but I don't really appreciate them when they are floating around my bedroom.


I've also spent a good part of this morning swatting at flies.  We have far too many of those annoying creatures buzzing around our house this week.  It's too early in the season for flies!  Let's face it, anytime is too early for flies.  I hate flies!

I suppose the flies are here because of our abundance of rain.  So many insects seem to be more prolific when the weather is damp and rainy.  I just wish that the city's mosquito spray would work for flies, too.  And, I really wish that Levi and Victoria would heed my admonition to "shut the door!"  I think that dozens of flies have been skulking around just outside the storm door, waiting for someone to leave it open a crack so they can sneak in.
As much as I detest flies, I can understand why God created them.  Without flies, the land would be littered with dead things.  Flies are essential for the decomposition process.  So, I guess they are a necessary evil.  But I don't think they are necessary in my house!

So many potentially annoying things are just fine when they stay in their place. Fireworks are a great way to celebrate Independence Day, but not at 3:00 in the morning.  I love to eat fresh cherries, but I have to show some restraint if I don't want to spend hours in the bathroom, later.  As my mom used to say, "all things in moderation."

Except for flies in my house.  That's where I draw the line.  Now, where is that flyswatter?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid