My New Favorite Store

I had been to a Hobby Lobby in the Denver area once or twice over the years, but I really had no idea why people were so excited about the new Hobby Lobby store that was moving into half of the old WalMart building in Scottsbluff. Oh, I was glad that the vacant building was finally being utilized. I was thrilled that Dunham Sports moved into the other half of the building, too, and that our thirty-year-old mall is finally being revitalized.

Like everyone else in our community, I have been visiting Monument Mall more often lately. It is great to see so many cars in the parking lot again. For too many years, when I ventured into the mall, it was common to see only the aging mall walkers, those exercisers who window shop as they walk, but seldom stop to buy anything. I really appreciate the new flurry of activity inside since the mall has attracted so many new stores, anchored by the old, reliable Herbergers store at one end, and Hobby Lobby at the other end of the mall.

I love eating the savory pretzels and pizza offered at the new Twisted Pretzel, owned and operated by my niece, Shana, and her soon-to-be husband, Brock. I am amazed at the amount of traffic in and out of Lulu's Sugar Shack, the new candy store that niece, Lindsey, and her husband, Brian, opened a few months ago. And, of course, Herbergers has been my go-to store for years, for clothes for our whole family. Now, though, I am a little surprised to realize that Hobby Lobby is rapidly becoming my favorite destination at the mall.

When I step inside Hobby Lobby in the midst of my busy morning, I find myself breathing a sigh of relief, slowing down my pace, and savoring the calm, relaxing atmosphere. I am always greeted cheerfully by every employee who is not totally engrossed in providing assistance to another customer. Uplifting Christian music, sans lyrics, plays softly in the background, offending no one, because those of us who enjoy contemporary Christian music can recognize the songs by their melodies alone, and can hum along as we shop, while those shoppers who are unfamiliar with the songs can enjoy the ambiance created by the quiet, comfortable music.

It pleases me to know that Hobby Lobby treats its employees with respect, paying a livable wage, and closing on Sundays to allow their workers to attend church and spend time with their families. Happy employees are loyal, hard workers, and it shows in their treatment of the customers.

But, besides all of that, I am blown away by the variety of merchandise available within the walls of Hobby Lobby. It is so much more than a hobby center! It's true that I can purchase materials for any imaginable pastime, from recreational painting and drawing, to candle making and scrap booking, to sewing, and the list goes on from there. But I can also choose from a wide assortment of gifts and cards, seasonal and inspirational decorations, storage containers, wall art, and furniture.

Three years ago, the extended Bauer family instituted an annual homemade Christmas gift exchange, so we were able to find lots of good gift ideas and materials at Hobby Lobby this year. Levi needed jars, an etching solution, and candle-making supplies for his homemade gift, and Victoria used some fabric, pompoms, wooden letters, and acrylic paint to embellish the bulletin board she made for Sheridan. Everything they wanted was available at Hobby Lobby.

When I needed to find a shower gift for baby Lydia, our third grandchild, who doesn't really need anything, Hobby Lobby provided me with several appropriate choices. When the restrooms at Bill's office were remodeled last week, I found some beautiful, durable, metal wall art to decorate the bare, freshly painted walls. When I reorganized my desk area at home, Hobby Lobby had the perfect metal baskets to hang on our family room wall.

I noticed several trellises that might look great in the backyard this spring. And, I'm wondering what kinds of Easter items I can find at Hobby Lobby?

Oh-oh. I think I might need to set a Hobby Lobby budget--soon!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid