Out of My Comfort Zone

It is human nature to avoid doing things that make us uncomfortable. Sometimes this is a good thing. The mere thought of hurting other people, or destroying someone else's property, should make each of us feel so uncomfortable that we refuse to to do it. But, sometimes, for one reason or another, the most uncomfortable things become necessary.

I was terrified for an entire semester of my sophomore year in high school, when I had to stand in front of the whole class to give one speech after another. I became physically ill--sick to my stomach-- and my hands shook uncontrollably, but I did what was required anyway, not because I felt that it was important for me to learn public speaking skills, but because I was driven to excel in all of my school work. I forced myself to stand there and give each speech simply because I wanted an A.

I don't like to find bugs in my house, and I certainly don't like to kill them myself, but I will dispose of a spider in Levi's room because I know that he will lie awake for hours if he thinks a spider is waiting in the shadows, ready to jump on him as soon as he falls asleep.
Many young adults gag at the thought of changing a putrid diaper or cleaning up someone's vomit from the floor, until they have a child of their own who relies on them for the most repulsive necessities. And so, we find that we are able to step far out of our comfort zones to meet the needs of the people we love the most.

In recent years, I've found out that God sometimes asks us to do uncomfortable things that we don't really want to do, just so we can learn to trust him along the way. And, in the process, I've found that I've learned new skills and even learned to enjoy doing the things that once seemed impossible for me.

I never dreamed of being a teacher, probably because of that same old public speaking anxiety, but that's where God lead me.  And, along the way to becoming a better teacher, I learned to speak comfortably in front of any group of kids, in spite of myself, and eventually in front of adults, as well.

When God lead us to adopt Victoria, and then Levi, I never expected that their mental health issues would make parenting a difficult proposition at times. In fact, I remember stating, quite emphatically, that I would never adopt a child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Let's just say that God had other ideas about that. Some days, it seems as if FAS is the least of the problems we face, but we are learning to depend on God's mercies (and the constant prayers of our faithful friends and relatives) to enable us to parent our children with special needs. I've learned to cling to the assurance found in this Bible verse: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4: 13)

It wasn't too long ago that I wrote a blog, stating that I was not a soloist, and that I had no desire to be one. But, two or three years ago, I sensed that God was asking me to step far out of my comfort zone, to trust him once again to do something that seemed impossible. Specifically, he let me know that the songs I've written over the past forty-some years, those songs that he inspired me to write, were not given to me for my edification only. I was not too happy at the thought of singing in front of anyone over the age of ten, let alone an entire congregation. Nevertheless, I've been singing solos at church, sharing some of the songs that I've written over the years. And I've been amazed to find out, yet again, that with God, all things are possible. (Matthew 19: 26) That is, all things that God wants me to do, even those things that are far outside of my comfort zone, become possible, and sometimes even enjoyable, when I trust in him for the outcome.

So, all of this leads me to ask some inevitable questions: What seemingly impossible things has God asked you to do? Have you thought of asking God what impossible thing he wants you to do right now? And, are you willing to do whatever he asks of you, even if it is harder than you can imagine?

I heard this at a Bible study a year or so ago: If you find yourself attempting something that is totally beyond your own capabilities, and you are sure that God is leading you to do it anyway, then you have no choice except to trust God each step of the way.

The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5: 25






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid