The Gospel According to Facebook

I rarely write letters any more, and I hate to make phone calls, so Facebook has provided a convenient way for me to communicate with the people I care about. I've found that Facebook keeps me connected with friends and relatives all over the world. That's why I find myself checking Facebook nearly every day.

Image result for facebook logo

I guess it's inevitable that many of my Facebook friends share their faith, in one way or another, on their walls. From there, it pops up on my news feed. I would expect nothing less from fellow Christians who are excited to share the Good News of salvation through Jesus, as well as the amazing things God is doing in their lives from one day to the next.

Some days, I really need to read the Bible verse or encouraging words that someone has shared on Facebook. I often read blogs or articles that my friends have found interesting or uplifting. When people are sick or grieving, I appreciate the opportunity to let them know I care, and that I am praying for them.

No two people experience exactly the same Facebook. Somehow, each person's news feed is tailored to fit that person's interests, as well as the interests of his or her friends. Consequently, my news feed reflects the everyday lives of the people who are most important to me, as well as the lives of their friends, and the lives of some Facebook "friends" I don't really know very well, but whose comments show up on my news feed simply because they spend a lot of time on Facebook. Additionally, I often run across some ads that are disguised as uplifting commentaries, and I am obliged to view other ads before I am granted access to the articles I want to read.

It's an interesting microcosm that allows me to see and hear some opinions and attitudes that I might not otherwise find in my daily life. I've begun to refer to these philosophical ideas as "The Gospel According to Facebook."

There's that shoddy artwork, featuring a picture of Jesus or an angel, or even a veteran, with accompanying instructions that try to coerce me into liking and sharing the picture so God will bless me or, if I don't like and share, something bad is sure to happen. When it says "Like if you love Jesus; if not, scroll past," I admit that I always scroll on past. Yes, I love Jesus, but surely I'm not the only one who refuses to be bullied by bad theology!

Similarly, when I see a picture of a sick or injured child, or animal, or veteran, with a caption stating that one like equals one prayer, I scroll on past. If I'm drawn to pray, I pray. But, I'm sorry, one "like" is just not the same as a prayer.

I know, from personal experience, just how much it helps to hear that people are praying for my family when we face a trying situation. Prayers and encouragement mean so much when we are hurting! But sometimes, when people offer their condolences to someone who has lost a loved one, I can't help but feel somewhat amused, and a little annoyed, when I read that someone is offering "prayers to the family." I really don't think the family has much desire or ability to comfort themselves. Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I find myself wishing people would offer their prayers to God, for the family, since he is the only one who can truly grant the comfort, strength, and peace that people need during times of hardship and grief.

I may raise my eyebrows a bit when I read that friends are sending "good thoughts" to a grieving family. Although it may be an acceptable way to let someone know you care, I'm not sure that it will help much.

It isn't at all unusual for a well-meaning friend to express the idea that heaven has gained another angel. I don't want this blog to turn into a self-righteous rant, so I'll just say that the Bible doesn't mention that possibility at all.

And, speaking of rants, Facebook is full of them. I've heard that it is easier for many people to express their controversial opinions on Facebook, rather than face-to-face with real, live people. It seems like some people just like to argue about who is right and wrong or, even worse, they shamelessly attack those who believe differently that they do. "My beliefs are better than yours" has become a common theme that sometimes crops up when we least expect it. I am especially bothered when someone hijacks another person's appropriate post about a tragedy, just to maliciously point out somebody's wrongdoing.

And then there are those Christians who reply with unkind or rude comments to those who post anti-Christian comments. Or, sometimes, two Christians will nit-pick about theological fine points on Facebook's public forum, right there for everyone to see their hateful, judgmental words. I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be better for Christians to demonstrate the meaning of loving our neighbors as ourselves (Mark 12: 31), even on Facebook.

Occasionally, someone will write out a prayer, imploring God to help in a specific situation. Such an expression of faith seems significantly better than good thoughts, and may provide the comfort that someone needs, but I'll admit that I find myself questioning whether a person is writing out a prayer for the sake of communication with God, or if he just wants others to see what a good Christian he is. Then, I usually scold myself for judging, and scroll on past. Who am I to second-guess the way God chooses to work through other people?

Facebook is an excellent forum for mutual encouragement. I like to see Facebook friends congratulating people on their graduations, engagements, new jobs, and other personal triumphs. It isn't unusual for someone to tell another person that "You deserve it!" And, according to worldly standards, they may have worked long and hard to reach an admirable goal. But those words always remind me that I don't really deserve any good thing.

God doesn't give us good things because we deserve them. Instead, he blesses us day after day, graciously giving us everything we need, and much more, just because he loves us.

That's the gospel we need to hear.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid