Forgotten Meds

I've been having a few more aches and pains lately. That's pretty normal for me in the spring, when the barometric pressure plummets or soars rapidly in a short period of time, and the wind blows pollen all over the place. But Monday was worse than normal. I ached all over. I didn't want to move. I was so miserable that Bill took pity on me, and cooked supper while I kept him company in the kitchen.

Then, when I opened my pill box to take my supper-time medication, I noticed that I had not taken my morning meds. I hadn't taken my morning meds! I can't remember the last time that happened, but at least I understood why I had been feeling so wretched all day.


That's one of the reasons I use a sectioned pill box, like the one in the picture, so I can remember whether or not I took my pills. I wish I had checked a lot sooner on Monday.

It's gratifying, though, to realize that those pills really do help me function normally most of the time. And, that got me thinking about the blessings of modern medicine.

I don't know about you, but I go to Walgreen's to pick up the prescriptions and over-the-counter supplements my doctors want me to take for my various ailments. I don't have to go out and gather herbs and roots to make my own medicine. I don't have to sneak out, after dark, to visit some disreputable neighborhood healer, in hopes that she will be able to concoct whatever remedy she thinks I need. I wasn't doomed to be a blind, ancient, arthritic invalid before the age of fifty, as was common a hundred years ago.

I may grumble about the cost of my medications but, most of the time, they make it possible for me to see clearly, breathe easily, sleep at night, and function during the day with comparatively little pain.

I guess I should quit complaining about the cost of a normal, healthy life, and thank God, yet again, for his blessing of easily available, functional health care.


Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  
Psalm 103:2-5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid