When You Know Someone

When I was born, Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th president of the United States. Even as a young child, I knew that he was the president, and I had a somewhat vague idea of his job description. I knew that he was worthy of my respect because all of the adults I knew spoke of him in a respectful way.


Since then, ten more presidents have come and gone, and number 45 sits in the White House now. For the most part, I have respected our presidents, even when I haven't always agreed with all of their policies. Some presidents have done a better job than others, although U.S. citizens have not always concurred about which presidents were most effective.

My whole life, though, I have believed strongly that our country is, indeed, led by a person we call the president. Even now, for better or worse, I believe that Donald Trump is the president of our country. I know what he looks like. I know about his policies. But, I don't know him personally and, quite frankly, as with most of our nation's past presidents, I don't really have much desire to meet him or get to know him in any way.

Over the years, I've met some famous people, and I've found that simply meeting them has never resulted in any sort of relationship. I can wave at someone, or shake his hand, or even exchange a few sentences back and forth, but one meeting rarely makes for even a passing relationship.

Instead, when we want to get to know someone, we talk to him or her; we spend time with the people we want to know. Those we are closest to are family, whether we are biologically related to them or not. As you've noticed, I'm sure, families and close friends spend time together. They talk to each other often, they eat meals together, and they have fun together. Even when they are physically separated by a large distance, they still keep in touch. They help each other when no one else can aid them, and they support each other during the hard times that inevitably come. Family members share a strong bond that isn't easily broken.
+ + + + + + + + + +

From a very young age, I knew that God was, well, God. I believed he existed, that he lived in heaven but was also with me wherever I went. I knew he loved me because Mom told me so; she started singing "Jesus Loves Me" to me before I could talk. My grandmas read me stories about Jesus. My Sunday School teachers taught the Bible stories that still resonate with me today. I trusted that Jesus had died to take away my sins and would take me to be with him in heaven someday.

When the people we loved the most told us, as children, that something was true, we believed it, without question. That's why Jesus admonished his disciples, in Matthew 19:14, to "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." A child-like faith is a wonderful thing.

Since childhood, my perspective has changed a bit. Few adults have a child-like faith in anything or anyone. We ask questions; we want proof; we are, by nature, quite skeptical; we want to know what's in it for us.

My whole life, I have believed strongly that there is a God. But, as James 2:19 states, You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

By the time I was a young teen, I found myself wondering if it was possible to really know God. I knew all about God, or so I thought; I had read the Bible and memorized many verses. I knew the difference between Law and Gospel and, if you had asked me, I would have said that I hoped to spend eternity in heaven. But, I wanted more.

So, I reached out to the one I wanted to know. I started praying every day. I began to read the Bible voraciously, whole books at a time.

When we want to get to know God, we talk to him; we spend time with him. He becomes family--no, we become part of his family because he has offered to adopt us. Families spend time together. So, we talk to each other often, we celebrate the Communion meal together, and we relish our time together. Even when it seems like we are physically separated by a large distance, he is still close by, ready to hear us and answer our prayers. He helps us when no one else can, and supports us during the hard times that inevitably come.

Like a parent who wants only the best for his children, our God doesn't give us everything we want. He is not some magical fairy godmother, ready to grant our every wish. Instead, he wants us to know him; that's the best gift he can give, and the real answer to every prayer. That's the reason he sent Jesus to take our sins and suffer the punishment we deserve, so we can truly get to know God and spend eternity with him.

Countless people would agree that our nation in enduring some uncertain times. Many are not sure they can trust our president to do what's right. Presidents come and presidents go, but Jesus said, "I am the same yesterday, today, and forever." 

Maybe you are feeling uncertain about the days ahead. Maybe you are lonely or bitter or filled with grief. Maybe you are not sure God exists, or you may think he couldn't possibly care about you. Maybe you are angry with God because he hasn't answered your prayers the way you wanted. Don't be afraid to reach out to God. Talk to him. Yell at him, if you think that's what you need. Read his Word, the Bible. 

Take a chance. What do you have to lose? 

Get to know him. Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near. (Isaiah 55:6) You won't be disappointed.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid