That Dreadful Word

It's a word we just don't want to hear, arguably one of the nastiest words in the English language--suicide. Volumes have been written about it. Families have been torn apart by it. Lives have been wasted by it.

Today, I heard that awful word again. It's bad enough when a young teen dies, for any reason, but suicide makes it so much worse. My heart aches for a troubled boy and the family he leaves behind. I pray that they may begin to find some peace, that God will wrap his arms around them and comfort them as only he can. I pray that their church family will step up and stand with them, cry with them, pray with them, and remind them of God's presence and everlasting grace.

I pray for the other kids who knew him, who will be confused and shocked when they hear what has happened. I pray for my son, Levi, who knew him, too, who will have a hard time processing this tragedy.

I pray for the pastors who have to help friends and family members make sense of the senseless. For centuries, churches have hashed out the eternal ramifications of suicide, sometimes going so far as to condemn every victim of suicide. I have just one thing to say about that: I believe that it is entirely possible for a person to trust in Jesus for salvation even though he might be unable to trust God with the hardships of his daily life.

This teen grew up in church. He knew all about Jesus, and had professed faith in him as his Savior.

As Romans 8:37-39 says: No, in all these things we have complete victory through him who loved us! For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor heavenly rulers, nor things that are present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I have known several people who struggle with mental illness. I know how difficult life can be for them. I have witnessed the hopelessness they feel when they are overwhelmed with the stresses of everyday life. I know that it takes time, sometimes too much time, for mental health professionals to find the right mix of counselling and medication that will help a particular person. I understand that even the best medications can sometimes cause the suicidal thoughts and actions they are meant to prevent. I know that harsh name-calling and put downs are way too common in our country's middle schools; we've all heard that bullying behaviors can trigger suicide. And, I know that some despondent kids hide their feelings and intentions so well, that no one recognizes the depth of their despair until it is too late.

This boy--this son, grandson, brother, nephew, cousin, student, friend--was well-loved, and will be missed more than he would have ever guessed. I don't know what triggered his unthinkable action, and it isn't right for me, or anyone else, to assign blame or make judgments, but God knows and cares. For the family, I pray that they may feel the love and prayers of those of us who are too far away to bring food and hugs. But, most of all, I pray that they will recognize God's presence and take refuge in him and that, for each of them, Jesus will be enough to get them through the dark days that lie ahead.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid