Opposites Really Do Attract

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Opposites attract." It seems to be true. Two magnets' opposite poles always stick together firmly, while two of the same, either north or south, will repel each other every time. Two colors that are across from each other on the color wheel are often paired together for pleasing home or clothing design. The two opposing sides of Velcro stick together reliably. Most teenage girls are attracted to teenage boys, and vice versa. Cake goes well with ice cream. 

And then, there is the story of Bill and me, opposites in so many ways, yet attracted to each other, firmly, for 44 years. He is tall and I'm short. He was a red head, whose hair has faded to white, while my dark brown hair is now mostly silver. His eyes are blue; mine are green. He is an extrovert; I'm an introvert. He loves to talk, but I prefer to listen or write. He chooses to watch a movie, but I would rather read the book.

Bill grew up in the western Nebraska panhandle, while I lived in eastern Nebraska until I graduated from college. He merely tolerates camping and fishing, while I love to get outside to hike and camp. He lifts weights and works out, while I prefer to walk or dance. He can fix almost anything, and I'm glad to let him. I cook because I have to, but he thoroughly enjoys trying out a new recipe. I'm good at spelling and writing, and Bill is, too, now that I've taught him everything I know! He loves to travel, and I've been able to go with him just often enough to see some interesting parts of the world that I would never have visited on my own.

I could go on and on, because we are truly opposite in most significant ways.

When we first met, though, Bill and I were unified in a handful of major areas. We were both attending college, although our majors were about as opposite as they could be--he was studying electronic engineering, while I ended up majoring in elementary education. For the most part, our political views have been similar, but he is more outspoken about it than I am, of course. We both play the guitar and have lead worship. (I still do.) We have always shared similar moral values. Most important of all, we share our faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Life is not always easy when our opposing views lead to different ways of doing things, but those few similarities have been enough to keep us together. In addition, we've found some new likenesses: we both love, and love to spend time with, our children and grandchildren, we have both developed a fondness for cats, we both like to play cards and board games, and we both love each other wholeheartedly, and work hard to support each other in everything we do.


God has provided the perfect model for us. People started out when God created them in his image, but he knew, from the very beginning, that people would soon stray from him and everything he represents. In short, we have become the opposite of God. He is holy, sinless, all-knowing, wise, able to do anything he decides to do. We, on the other hand, are sinful, defiant, limited in our thinking and knowledge, and totally unable to provide life's essentials for ourselves. He is Spirit, but we are stuck in our earthly bodies, at least for now. He loves us unconditionally, even when we are likely to turn our backs on him.

Jesus said that the greatest commandments are these:  "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself." (Luke 10:27) Then he demonstrated true love for us, when he died in our place, on purpose.

Very few of us will be required to give up our lives for another person. Yet, this week, with Valentine's Day approaching, we have another chance to show just how much we love the people around us. It's comparatively easy to love those who love us back--spouses, children, grandchildren, friends and relatives. But loving God, and our neighbor--that can be hard.

So, I'm issuing a couple of challenges, to myself and all of you. First, spend some time with the God who loves you more than you can imagine. Pray, read the Bible, sing his praises! Then, this week, let's all try to show love to someone who is truly the opposite of us: perhaps that grumpy neighbor or annoying co-worker, or a homeless person under the bridge. We could donate canned goods to the local food pantry, or volunteer to babysit a sick child so his parents can go to work. We could write inspiring notes or send emails to people who need encouragement. We could deliver a plate of cookies to someone who needs to know they are loved.

It isn't always easy to love people who are totally different from us, but we can take lessons from the one who loves us the most.

It's just like Jesus showed us: sometimes love needs to be intentional.


1 Corinthians 13: 4-8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid