A Purple Sweater Day

Today was definitely a purple sweater sort of day--frigid and blustery, with heavy, wet snow that stuck to the tree branches and parked cars, melting only when it touched the streets and sidewalks still warm from yesterday's sunshine. It was a good day to stay inside, curled up with a good book, with a fire roaring in the fireplace. It would have been a good day for all that, but I cleaned out a kitchen cabinet instead, grateful for my warm house.

I am so thankful that God has given me everything I need to survive a spring snowstorm. Even though I would prefer more spring-like weather now, in the middle of April, I was glad to have a choice of sweaters to wear. And, as I dressed for the day, I thought back to my favorite sweater, one that I wore often when Erin and Meagan were small. It was purple, of course--but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I remember the day, a cool, sunny Saturday in November so many years ago, when Bill agreed to look after the girls so I could ride to Fort Collins with a group of friends. We were planning to get a head start on our Christmas shopping. Times were tight then, when Bill was starting a new business and I was working only a few hours a week as an art teacher, so I could be available for our young daughters. But, despite our lack of discretionary income, I was able to scrape together a little money for the shopping trip. I remember that we had a wonderful time, making the rounds of Toys R Us and Target and Michael's, going out for lunch, and finally ending up at the mall.

I had purchased a few small things for Erin and Meagan, so I was content. We made our way through several clothing stores, and one little shop, in particular, stood out for me. I looked through the racks of clothes and found a whole group of bulky, over-sized sweaters, in a variety of jewel colors, red, blue, green, and purple, each with a faint white line meandering though the weave to give it a mild tie-dyed effect. I must have spent quite a long time at that rack, gazing longingly at the sweaters, before we moved along to the next store.

An hour or so later, someone in our group asked if we could go back to that store, since she had decided to buy something there. I went along, since I was basically just "along for the ride" that day, anyway. While the others finalized their purchases, I headed back to look at that rack of sweaters, one more time. After a few minutes, one friend said to me, "You really like those sweaters. Why don't you just buy one for yourself?"

I was surprised to hear her say that. With my limited funds, I hadn't even considered buying something for myself that day. But, as I thought about it, I realized I had enough money left for the sweater, so I took a deep breath, grabbed a purple sweater off the rack, and paid for it before I could change my mind.

When I got home that afternoon, Bill didn't say a word about the sweater, other than to comment that he liked it. And, after I stopped feeling guilty about my extravagant purchase, I certainly got my money's worth out of that sweater, because I wore it often, every winter, until it finally wore out, went out of style, and disappeared from my life and into someone else's, via my yearly garage sale.

My purple sweater is long gone now, as are those days of scrimping to make ends meet. But as I think back to the day when I bought that purple sweater, I can't help but think about God's provision for us, during those lean times, and in the years since. He has always provided everything we need and, often, even more than we need--like a certain sweater.

So today, when I got dressed, I found myself longing, a little bit, for that cozy purple sweater, and the memories that came with it. But today ended up being a blue sweater day, and it was a good day, in spite of the snow.



And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:19



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid