My Book


"Grandma, Whatcha Doing?" I'm excited to share the title of my new book,  published by Covenant Books on September 25, 2019.

For a long time, I've had the idea, in the back of my head, that I need to write children's books. This book came about one summer afternoon, as I was outside, working in the yard, thinking about what my grandkids would like to do with me as I worked. One thing led to another, and pretty soon I had a whole summer story in mind. Then, when I went inside, I sat down at the kitchen table to cool off with a refreshing root beer float, before picking up my guitar and turning the story into a song.

Over the next several days, I began to think about the things my grandchildren like to do with me during the other seasons, and before I knew it, I had written a whole book, set to music, encompassing all four seasons. Then, I added the lyrics/story to the notebook of songs I've written, where it sat for a few years, just waiting until the time was right for...well, I wasn't really sure what, but there it sat.

I retired from teaching, and had another eye surgery, and transported Victoria back and forth to college until she passed her driver's test, and home-schooled Levi for a couple of years. Last fall, Levi started high school, and I found myself with some free time. Finally, I had a chance to pull out the manuscript, research publishing companies, find an illustrator, and figure out how to submit a book proposal.

Tiffany Schank graciously consented to join me on this book project, so we worked back and forth on illustrations for several weeks. I first met Tiffany when Levi signed up for the art classes she taught, but I've known her family for quite a while. Her oldest sister's mother- and father-in-law live just two houses away from us, and said father-in-law was one of Erin's and Meagan's favorite high school teachers. Tiffany's oldest brother has been my son-in-law, Andy's, good friend for years. Her brother, Brock, is married to my niece, Shana, and my youngest daughter, Victoria, has been dating her youngest brother, Caleb, since they connected at Shana's and Brock's wedding, three years ago. So, I guess I could say that Tiffany is practically family.

Tiffany's illustrations are far from run-of-the-mill. I hope their quirkiness will prompt many conversations between the children and their parents, or grandparents, who read this story together.

My son-in-law, Reed, offered to record the song that goes along with the story. (He has a recording studio in his basement.)  Readers will be able to access the song via a QR code and website on the book cover.

Of course, I had to travel to Madison to do the recording, but it provided an excellent excuse for Levi and me to fly to Wisconsin to see Erin and Reed. Reed was patient and proficient, and we finished the recording in spite of my croaky, allergy-affected voice. I tell myself that my imperfect singing for this book just makes me sound more grandma-ish.

I had thought about having my grandkids help a little with the recording, but I didn't think it would be possible because of the distance involved. Reed assured me that we could record the kids on a Smart Phone, and dub their voices in. The kids were excited to do it, and it worked great. Erin volunteered to set up the QR code and YouTube site for the book cover, so finally, everything was ready to be submitted and printed.

Click on the arrow to hear my grandkids' contribution to the song.

"Grandma, Whatcha Doing?" is available in paperback, hard cover, and digital formats, and can be purchased through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and various bookstores throughout the country. 

It is my hope that this book will be a conversation starter between Grandmas and their grandchildren, in particular, and that it will inspire Grandmas, Nanas, Grannies, and Mamaws everywhere to think about how they can intentionally share their lives and Christian faith with the kids they love so much.

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid