Introducing Grandbaby #5

Baby Will was supposed to be a Christmas baby, but he didn't quite make it. Our oldest daughter, Erin, and her husband, Reed, have been anxiously waiting for the day their first baby would arrive, hoping he wouldn't follow in his mother's footsteps, and make them wait an extra week or two. Instead, his doctor noticed that he wasn't growing much at all in the womb during the last three weeks or so, because the placenta's blood supply seemed to be compromised. Because of that, Erin was induced last week, and William Langdon Tyler made his appearance on Saturday, December 7th, at 1:08 in the afternoon.

Will weighed four pounds and fourteen ounces, and was 18 inches long at birth. The blue light you see in the photos is from his Bili blanket, because his bilirubin is high. The special light will help his body rid itself of unneeded red blood cells, which turn his skin the telltale yellow that signifies jaundice. This is a common problem for low birth weight babies who have been born a little early. In just a few days, Will should overcome this small hurdle, and get on with the important business of growing.


I like to think that Will's Bili blanket's blue light, in combination with his starry blanket, make him look all decorated for Christmas.

When Erin found out that Will would be arriving early, she asked me to come to Wisconsin to help. So, here I am, in chilly Madison, enjoying some baby snuggles from a very sleepy baby, and offering a little advice here and there. For the most part, though, Erin and Reed are confident, knowledgeable parents, so they don't need much from me besides a bit of encouragement from time to time.

I don't even need to cook while I'm here, since Reed, who has paternity leave from his job at Edgewood College, has been cooking creative, delicious meals for all of us.

Baby Will has Erin's coloring and strawberry blond hair, and her nose. His hands and feet are shaped just like Grandpa Bill's, with long fingers and toes, and it looks like he may have inherited Bill's ears, as well. Beyond that, he looks like Reed, and Reed's dad and grandpa, and his cousin, Ben. Meagan says he doesn't look anything like any of her babies--my other grandchildren--but time will tell.

Erin is working hard to conquer the challenges of nursing a sleepy baby, while trying to get enough sleep herself.

Reed is a hands-on Dad. Here, he is surrounded by the Tyler family pets, Bella, Oscar, and Bowie. They have been very curious about the new baby, and a little jealous of all the attention he gets, but the dogs are beginning to be very protective of Baby Will.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." Jeremiah 1:5


Will is my first long-distance grandchild. I will have to make this visit last for a few months, until I get to snuggle with him again. He will be much bigger then, and much more alert and mobile. In the meantime, I may have to learn the intricacies of Skype, so I can see how he is growing. Unfortunately, as good as the technology is, Skype doesn't allow for hugs.

And so, I will entrust little Will and his parents to God, who is always with them. I pray that he will watch over all of them until I see them again.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
John 1:17

May the LORD keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other.
Genesis 31:49b






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid