Full Circle

I was just sixteen, the first time I rounded up some friends to sing in the nursing homes in Fairbury. It was summer, so we had some time available. And, I loved the new-found independence that came with having a driver's license and a vehicle to drive.

The vehicle was unconventional, to say the least, but the old, yellow, converted mail van/catering van was perfect for hauling several girls and guitars. The only seat was the driver's seat, unless you counted the folding chair that slid toward the back of the van whenever the driver used the brake. For the most part, my passengers sprawled on the cold, metal floor in the back of the van, or perched carefully on one of the raised wheel covers.

We usually met in the early afternoon once every week, or so, in my church's parking lot, because Grace Lutheran Church was located just a few blocks from the nursing homes. When our youth leader noticed what we were doing, he decided he wanted to organize us, and open up our ministry to everyone in the youth group. We resisted, partly because that's what teenagers do, but mostly because we wanted to sing, out of love for the elderly people in the nursing homes, whenever we wanted to-- not because we had to. Besides, several of the girls in our group attended other churches.

Fairbury had two nursing homes, one attached to the hospital, and the other, new one, Heritage, also located quite close to the hospital.

We planned to go from one room to the next, singing a mix of old hymns and contemporary songs for each of the occupants who stayed in their rooms most of the time. We targeted people we knew, as well as people who rarely received visitors. We never called ahead to let the activity directors know we were coming, but that didn't stop them from gathering all the mobile residents together in a common area so we could sing for a large group, as well.

Besides singing, we made a point of holding hands with each resident, and talking to them individually. We wanted them to know how much God loved them, and that we cared, too.

Susan, Pam, Donna, Ellen, LaVonna
Some of the girls who sang in the nursing homes each summer until we went off to college.

Me, as a teen; we didn't take selfies then, so I don't have many pictures of myself.

Years later, when I taught preschool at Faith Lutheran in Gering, I took my classes across the street, at least once a month, to sing at Gering's Heritage Care Center. By then, I was considerate enough to let the activity director know we were coming. I especially enjoyed taking the kids to sing in the Alzheimer's units. Sometimes, the director invited us over for special events, like trick or treating from room to room, in costume, for Halloween, or delivering and receiving valentines in February. My preschoolers soon learned to talk to the residents happily, and give them the hugs they craved.

Since then, I've gone Christmas caroling in one or another of the nursing homes in our area, sometimes with a group of kids, and sometimes with adults from my church. I've thought about taking my guitar over to Gering's new Heritage Estates, a mile away from my house, but I just haven't done it yet.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom moved into the memory wing at Heritage Care Center in Fairbury. I took my guitar along when I went to visit her last week, thinking I would sit in her room and sing some old hymns for her, as well as some of the songs I've written. Once again, my plans were thwarted, because Mom insisted that I sing in the common area at the end of the unit. The staff gathered the residents together there, and sat down with them, while I played my guitar and sang. They clapped enthusiastically after each song.They would have clapped for anyone who took the time to give them the attention they long for. Some memory unit residents don't have very many visitors--or they just don't remember the last time someone came to see them.

I plan to make the 400 mile drive about once a month to see Mom. It's not often enough, but it's the best I can do. Next time, when influenza has hopefully run its course, and kids are allowed to visit the nursing home again, I will take sixteen-year-old Levi with me. He has been practicing his piano and harmonica songs so he can play them for Grandma. He doesn't yet know that his audience will be bigger than one, but he won't mind a bit.


Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people... 
Galatians 6:10a

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves. 
Philippians 2:3

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 
1 John 4:7



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid