Late-Blooming

I was seventeen or eighteen when our traveling ministry group sang at a nursing home in Oklahoma or Minnesota, or some other state on one of our three-week-long journeys. I remember seeing a sign that stated "Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life." Another popular sign urged the residents, and perhaps the staff, as well, to "Bloom Where You are Planted."

Our Traveling Ministry group, Wheels of Faith.
Pictures like this make me grateful for recent, digital photography.

I don't know why I hated those signs, and their implied meanings. They make perfect sense now. But then, I probably thought they didn't really apply to me, since I was sure I had my whole life ahead of me. Perhaps it seemed like it was asking too much for nursing home residents to do anything meaningful with the remainder of their lives. Or, maybe, the signs just seemed like clichés, even then, when the sayings were new.

Now, I know differently.

I've had an active life so far, supporting Bill in his various endeavors, maintaining a busy household, teaching young children, coaching, encouraging, and raising kids, and working in a series of children's, women's, and music ministries. Sometimes, I've been almost overwhelmed, and even exhausted, from busy-ness coupled with an auto-immune disorder or two.

I've often felt impatient, and even a little annoyed, to hear women--empty-nesters or retirees--state emphatically that they have done their part, and now it's time for someone younger to take their turn. Why do they think God has placed them here on Earth? Just to take up space? Or does he still have some purpose for them to accomplish?

Those are rhetorical questions, of course. I firmly believe that God has plenty for us to do, and when our work is done, there will no longer be any reason for us to remain here on Earth. As Jesus said to his disciples, in Mark 6:15: “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." Notice he didn't say anything about stopping when we reach a certain age.

If we claim to be Jesus' disciples, shouldn't we still be proclaiming the gospel to the people in our sphere of influence, wherever that may be? God may change the specific things he is asking us to do, but he will never ask us to stop serving him! And he will certainly give us everything we need to accomplish the things he wants us to do, just as the Apostle Paul stated in 2 Timothy 4:17a: But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. 

God created each of us with inherent abilities and strengths, so that we may serve him in the ways he has planned for us. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that we are no longer physically able to accomplish the things we have always done, so it must be time to rest, or even give up and plead with God for this life to end. But maybe, just maybe, God has something new for us to do as we get older. Maybe we should humble ourselves, and simply ask him "What's next?" Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Hebrews 12:1

I was surprised, a few years ago, when God started nudging me into a direction I didn't really want to go. I have never claimed to be a soloist, but God insisted that I needed to overcome my fear of singing in front of a group of adults, so I could share the songs I've written ever since I was a teenager. He reminded me that he hadn't given me those songs just for my own edification, but to share with others. Just the thought of singing a solo terrified me. I didn't even sing my songs in front of my family, and if I taught the songs God had given me to a group of kids at VBS or camp, I didn't let anyone know that I had written them. Until God brought it to my attention, I didn't realize that he wanted anything more from me.

It was a challenging process, but I finally realized that the only way I could sing in front of others was to trust God implicitly. So, I prayed about it often, asking him to show me the way, and of course, he did. It took a while, but eventually, I learned that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I've had to overcome my innate shyness, as well as a strong sense of perfectionism. God has taken away my fear of performance, and he keeps reminding me that, although he expects excellence in everything I do for him, I will probably not do anything perfectly until I join him in heaven. So, I grit my teeth, and share recordings that are glaringly imperfect, at least to me, because that's what he wants me to do. I think he's also working on my humility...

There are plenty of reasons why I shouldn't be able to play my guitar and sing songs. According to two different doctors, I have "very bad" osteoarthritis in my hands, that may ultimately make it impossible for me to play my guitar. My asthma and allergies sometimes present challenges when it comes to singing. I could use these maladies, and others, as excuses to stop doing these things, but instead, I choose to trust God to give me everything I need so I can do what he is asking me to do. O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. Psalm 71:17

The time may come when I need to change what I am doing, but I trust that God will show me what he wants me to do then. I am encouraged by some older women I know who, despite their declining health, still offer words of support to the people around them, send notes of encouragement, and pray wholeheartedly for people's needs. Even the most elderly people can follow Paul's direction, as God gives them the ability: Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Today, I sat down to record a song, written last fall, called "Not the Me I Used to Be." It pretty much sums up God's work in my life thus far. You can listen to it below. Just keep a couple of things in mind: If God can do new things in me at my age, in spite of my limitations, he can lead you where he wants you to go, too. Just ask him, and be prepared for an interesting and, maybe, unexpected journey. I suspect you will wonder why you waited so long.



This is a sub-standard cell phone recording, with my fumbling fingers and imperfect, old lady voice, but I know God will use this song for his glory. As he says, in Isaiah 55:11, "I send (my Word) out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." What an awesome God we serve!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid