The Green Robe

It hangs in the guest room closet--that green, velour robe that my Grandma made for my Dad so many years ago. I don't think Dad has ever worn it. Robes just aren't his thing. But I wear it every time I stay with my folks in their house in Fairbury. 

Even as I write, I can almost smell that faint, distinctive, velour odor. You would think the scent would have faded by now, but velour, along with some other synthetic fabrics manufactured in the 1970's, always seems to retain that vague, chemical smell that must have been a necessary part of the fabric-making process.

The robe is soft and bulky, cozy to wear, but not too warm, even on sultry, summer mornings. It falls almost to my ankles. The sleeves are too long for me, but they are easily rolled up. The unattached sash is long enough to wrap three times around my waist. If I'm not careful when I tie it, the sash drags on the floor, causing a definite tripping hazard. I'm sure that Grandma just used the selvage, the unfinished edge of unneeded fabric, to make the sash, with no real measuring involved.

The robe was undoubtedly a Christmas present for Dad. With six living children, their spouses, and twenty, or so, grandchildren, plus great-grandchildren, Grandma made many gifts so she could afford to give something to everyone. Although the colors might have varied, she probably made six robes--one for each son and son-in-law.
 
Besides the robe, Grandma also made the quilt blocks for the quilt that hangs on the guest room wall. She started to embroider the blocks to make a baby quilt for Dad, but life must have gotten in the way, as the quilt wasn't completed until Mom commissioned a friend to finish it a few years ago.
The old dresser in the guest room came from one of the hotels Mom and Dad managed. Mom collects old hats and hat pins, which are also displayed in the guest room. You can spot the baby quilt in the mirror, hanging on the wall behind me.

It's the little things that mean much, and seemingly insignificant things can help us remember bigger things. This Bible verse, from Ephesians 4:2, provides a good description of my Grandma, who was the best of examples, in so many ways, for everyone in her family: Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid