Broken Chair

Bill was sitting in his kitchen chair after supper the other night when, all of a sudden, the chair collapsed, almost in slow motion, sending him to the floor. His pole vaulting instincts kicked in, and I watched him roll away from the disintegrating chair. Except for his bruised dignity, Bill wasn't hurt at all. 

It could have been so much worse. Bill could have hit his head on the brick wall right behind him, but his guardian angel must have been watching out for him, yet again. 

As for the chair, though, it was pretty much destroyed--unrepairable, for sure. It will never again serve its designated purpose.

Bill checked right away to see if his ill-fated chair was fixable.

No one ever expects their chair to give way beneath them, especially a chair that is only a few years old. Dining chairs are usually made to last for decades, or at least, that's the way it used to be. Chairs, like most pieces of furniture, are meant to be trustworthy. 

I never give much thought about whether or not a chair will do its job. I just sit down, confident that the chair beneath me will hold me safely, as it is meant to do. 

In the same way, I don't think much about God's reliability, from one day to the next. He is, by nature, the very definition of dependable. He will always be much more trustworthy than any chair. He has proven himself, over and over again, and, just as he has said: “I am the LORD, and I do not change." (Malachi 3:6)

I can rest in him, confident that he will support me safely, no matter the circumstances. He will never refuse to hold me. He will never collapse under my weight. He will never wear out or give up on me. God knows me completely, inside and out, yet he loves me without fail. I can trust him to give me everything I need.


O LORD, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.

You know when I sit down or stand up.

You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.

You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.

You know everything I do.

You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD.

You go before me and follow me.

You place your hand of blessing on my head.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!

Psalm 139:1-6


I suppose we'll keep this poor, unreliable chair until the two new ones arrive
 in a couple of days. Only then will it get what it deserves--a trip to the dumpster.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid