The Right Boots

I'll confess, I was the one who asked for a lot of snow. Okay, I may not have been the only one, because when the whole state is officially in severe or even extreme drought, there are bound to be others who have also prayed for the moisture we need so badly. 

I didn't expect to get a lot of snow this weekend, though. When the temperature hovers at 0 degrees, or even lower, any snow we get doesn't usually amount to much. The -30 degree wind chill doesn't even enter into it.

Apparently, this snowstorm didn't get the memo--and God answered my prayer, sending the moisture we need, in spite of the forecast. 

Originally, the meteorologists were predicting a frigid weekend, with maybe an inch or two of fluffy, white snow. Well, this snow is fluffy, all right, all 8 to 10 inches of it. (That's just a guess.) I'm not complaining, not at all, because a foot of fluffy snow produces much more moisture than just an inch or two.


The last time we had significant snow was in October. 

The day after our October snow was cold and beautiful. I bundled up and walked near the Monument that day, but I wore my ankle boots, forgetting that the Monument paths aren't usually plowed.


The path is paved though, unlike the adjacent, muddy, ditchbank road, which was a sloppy mess, of course.


At first, the path was mostly clear, with drifts covering just the west edge on the concrete.


But, as I walked a little further, the snow stretched clear across the path in spots, and the melting snow made the path a little slippery. 

Finally, I reached a section that was totally snow-covered, and deeper than my boots. That's when I walked carefully in the tracks other adventurous people had already made.

As I walked that day, I was thinking about how, even though I had dressed for the weather, my preparations weren't quite adequate for the conditions. Because of that, I had to be extra careful as I stepped in the footprints other hikers had left behind.

And, as I walked, I compared my experience to that of Christians who are encouraged to put on the full armor of God, as written in Ephesians 6:10-18.

Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. for we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

As Christians, we are urged to make use of every tool God has given us, so we will be prepared for anything that lies ahead. Then, when our path becomes treacherous, as it surely will, we will be able to make our way through anything that blocks our way.

That day, I had carefully put on my heavy winter coat, my stocking cap and balaclava, and my Thinsulate gloves, but I had chosen the wrong boots for the job. My hike would have been much easier if I had worn my tall snow boots, the ones with the thick tread on the soles. But, it didn't matter as much as it could have, because I had help from those who had gone before me, leaving their footprints for me to step in.

And, no matter where we go in this life, no matter what obstacles or hardships we face, we can be assured that God is always there, going before us, leading the way.


Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you. Deuteronomy 31:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid