Singing Through the Tears

I was sitting on my stool at the front of the church on Sunday, mostly hidden behind my music stand, as usual. The worship team was playing The Wonderful Cross, which is an updated version of When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. The verses are the same hymn I've known my whole life, with an additional chorus.

This particular version of the song calls for the bass, and most other instruments, to play only a D for the entire verse, with other appropriate chords added just during the chorus. I have the verses memorized, and I can play an open D with my eyes closed and my left hand tied behind my back, so I didn't need to look at my music.

At first, I glanced at the rear screen, where the lyrics are displayed for the onstage singers to see, but since I already knew the words, my gaze shifted across the singing congregation. I couldn't help but notice the family standing right in front, some singing, but most struggling to keep from crying. The elderly man on the end was sitting with his head in his hands, obviously grieving the loss of his beloved wife just a few days earlier. My voice caught, as I recognized their obvious emotion. I had trouble singing the next couple of lines.

My gaze shifted across the sanctuary, where my eyes rested on a seated woman who was wiping the tears from her face. She and her late husband had been forced to stay home for many long months, even before the Covid crisis began, as they both dealt with some prolonged, serious, health challenges. She was there now to watch her eight-year-old granddaughter, the one she had led to Christ a few years ago, be baptized. My tears surfaced again, and I had no choice but to stop singing again until the tears subsided.


(Jesus said,) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

Later, when the worship team gathered to pray before the second service, I was surprised to hear a couple of other musicians say that they, too, had teared up as they shared the emotion of the people in the congregation.


Music is a powerful gift from God. It draws people to him, offers comfort, and gives his people an outlet for grief, as well as praise. I have heard Christians say, over and over, that they just don't understand how anyone can survive the hardships of this world without God's loving care. Pastor Gary repeated a similar sentiment in his sermon as he encouraged the people to follow Christ each day. As noted on the screen in the picture above, not following Christ never satisfies, while following him never disappoints--even when times are hard.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

See from His head His hands His feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown

O the wonderful cross
O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find
That I may truly live
O the wonderful cross
O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace
Draw near and bless Your name

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing so divine
Demands my soul my life my all

The Wonderful Cross, Copyright 2000
Chris Tomlin | Isaac Watts | J. D. Walt | Jesse Reeves | Lowell Mason


Comments

  1. Thank you Janet for your blog post acknowledging how music touches the hear.
    After Jeff died, I think I teared up at every hymn for a year.
    Now I have to bring my own hankerchief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sorry I didn’t have a chance to talk to you on Sunday. It was so good to see you there! Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid