Singing the No-Cell-Phone Blues

I made the 400 mile drive from Fairbury on Thursday without incident, my trusty iphone plugged in, providing the GPS guidance I needed to stay on track. But then, after I arrived back home that evening, my cell phone abruptly stopped working. As I plugged it in to recharge it, it suddenly got stuck in a loop, cycling between the white screen with the apple in the middle, and a black screen. Eventually, it just settled on the white screen. I've been told it's a common problem with iphones. So now I'm singing the no-cell-phone blues.

For such a little thing, my phone certainly occupies a lot of my time. Like most people, I use it for so many things besides just talk and text: it's my alarm clock and ever-ready camera, my GPS, weather forecaster, reference guide, phonebook, and cookbook, my source for daily news and social media. I use the Gateway Bible app every day. In fact, since my eye surgeries, I find I can avoid a significant amount of eyestrain when I read almost everything from my phone screen instead of from a real book. 

So, I'm feeling a little discombobulated without my not-so-trusty phone.

I've had to find alternatives, like sitting down at the computer to conduct research, or borrowing Levi's phone when I've needed to drive or walk somewhere--or to text a friend. I pulled out my One Year Bible again, and I've been checking our outside thermometer more often than usual today. I've even resorted to using the land line that Bill just won't do without.

These last two days have given me a little wake-up call (pun intended.) I've realized that my phone is a useful tool, but it has the potential to become an idol if I start to rely on it more than I rely on God. Oh-oh.

Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. Jonah 2:8

Change is hard. Unexpected change is harder. Over the past year or so, we've all learned to do things differently than normal. Few of us have accepted those sudden changes without complaint. Really, compared to the challenges of the past year, my temporary loss of a cell phone is a fairly insignificant problem. 

Bill has been working hard to repair my phone; he also ordered me a new one, which should be here in a few days. Either way, my phone issues should be resolved before too long. But even if I never again have the use of a phone, I can be assured that God will never stop working. He will never leave me. He will continue to give me everything I need, day after day, forever. 

You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever,
for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.
Isaiah 26:3-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid