The Dying Art of Acceptance

It was the day after the US Supreme Court overturned Roe vs. Wade, returning abortion regulation to each of the 50 states. Emotions remain strong on both sides of the abortion controversy. In fact, I was surprised to find Facebook posts from two of my friends, one a relative, and the other a former co-worker, each basically stating the same thing: "If your beliefs about abortion don't match mine, you are not worthy to be my friend. Unfriend me on Facebook immediately!" 

  
The interesting thing about this is that these two people, who both claim to be Christian, are on opposite sides of the abortion debate.

I did not unfriend either one. 

When did people stop trying to truly communicate with each other? When did people stop listening to each others' viewpoints without retaliating viciously? When did things shift in our country, to the point that so many people are unwilling to associate with anyone whose beliefs are different from theirs in any way? In a world where tolerance has become a widely promoted mantra, isn't this attitude the very definition of intolerance? 

I came of age at a time when people everywhere in the US were increasingly encouraged to accept each other regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, religion, and various other attributes. In many cases, it was a hard-fought battle for people to learn to tolerate, or even embrace, each others' differences. None of us did a perfect job, but most of us tried to get along--at least, most of the time.

I am reminded of a song I listened to years ago, called "Get Together." I think these words are as appropriate now as they were when they were written by the Youngbloods in 1966. (You can listen to the entire song here.)

Come on, people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now

Here's the thing: I can be your friend even if we don't have the same political or religious beliefs. I can treat you with respect even if I disagree with your lifestyle. My disagreement doesn't mean I am afraid of you or your beliefs; it just means that we will agree to disagree about one thing. I can enjoy your company, or at least work alongside you to accomplish a common goal, even if some of our beliefs or values are different. When I've done something to hurt or offend you, I hope that you will be willing to forgive me. And if you do something that I consider to be wrong, I will make every effort to forgive you and move on. 

Psychologists have defined forgiveness as "a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, whether or not they actually deserve your forgiveness." If we want to get along with other people, regardless of our differing ideologies, forgiveness is a good place to start. 

By the grace of God, mutual compassion, respect, and understanding just might follow.


Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Ephesians 4:32













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid