The Magnificent Days of Autumn


I love summer, but by the beginning of September, I am ready for a change. I always anticipate the end of 100 degree days. I look forward to crisp, sunny mornings, and glorious, golden Cottonwoods, and steaming hot cocoa after a cool hike through the countryside. Since I was a little girl growing up in northeastern Nebraska, I've loved to swish my way through the fallen leaves and breathe in that unmistakable aroma of fall.

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit.
Genesis 1:29

If all falls were like this one, autumn might have to be my favorite season. But, alas, in recent years, western Nebraska falls have been so fickle. I can certainly do without measurable snowfall and frigid temperatures in September and October. This is the first year in quite a while that early snowfall hasn't pulled down the leaves before they even have a chance to change color. I am so grateful that my winter coat has stayed in the closet so far this fall. 

Rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful.
Joel 2:23

I am truly thankful that the summer of 2022 didn't give way to immediate winter, as it has in recent years. This year, I'm certainly taking advantage of God's gift of autumn in all its glory. Whether I'm hiking, or taking photos, or taking the grandkids to play in the park, I can't help but enjoy the priceless treasure found in this nearly perfect fall.

Yes, the Lord will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase.
Psalm 85:12

Our welcome October rains haven't interrupted the harvest, like early snows so often do. We are always glad when farmers are able to reap the benefits of their labor at just the right time. And I am thankful for the majestic sunsets and brilliant harvest moon shining through the dusty skies that always accompany harvest.

The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
 Isaiah 40:8

So, won't you join me in praising God for the gift of changing seasons and, especially this year, for the colorful, magnificent days of autumn.


For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1


While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.
Genesis 8:22


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid