Fifty Years

Fifty Years used to seem like a long time. But now that it's been 50 years since I graduated from Fairbury High School, I can honestly say that 50 years is just a short period of time, only five brief decades. My classmates and I may have aged noticeably on the outside, but inside, we're pretty much the same as we always were--same basic values, work ethic, and philosophies. I hope, though, that we've gained much wisdom from our life experiences, as well as more empathy for others than teenagers usually exhibit. 

I was pleased to be able to attend my 50th class reunion recently, and catch up with about 50 of my high school classmates. It was so interesting to hear about their lives and families. And, as one classmate stated, we heard hardly any conversation about health or politics. I know that our political views range from one extreme to the other, and I'm sure that many of us have faced various health challenges over the years, but those things faded to the background as we became reacquainted with people we haven't seen very often in recent years, reliving our memories of high school days and catching up with each other's lives. 


Out of 147 graduates in the FHS Class of '73, 27 (that we know of) are gone now. That's nearly 20% who have died, mostly from accidents or cancer. We paused briefly to remember those who left us before we even reached adulthood, those who have been gone for just a few months, and all who have died throughout the decades in between. We found out that 27 seconds of silence, in their memory, can seem like an eternity.


This time, our reunion was held in Lincoln. Someone told me that having the reunion in Lincoln made travel and accommodations easier for those who flew in from out of state. And besides, several of our classmates live there now, including some who worked hard to plan our time together.

Bill and I enjoyed spending some time exploring the Farmers' Market and lunching with friends. We took advantage of Saturday afternoon's free time to tour the Sunken Gardens and the State Capitol. Although I've visited the capitol several times, walking through the building with Bill brought back memories of my first time there, when a bus load of eighth graders from Jefferson County were chosen to take a field trip to Lincoln.

 

 


Although I am not a rabid Nebraska football fan, I enjoyed our two-hour group tour of Memorial stadium. I have been to one Nebraska football game, when I was still in high school, and I enjoy watching televised games when the Huskers are playing well. It was rather awe-inspiring to see the stadium from the inside of the press booth, and to stand on the field gazing up at the stands.

  


I understand that the next reunion will most likely be an informal gathering like the one Friday evening at Susan's lakeside home. The Saturday evening banquet was great, but Friday's casual get-together gave us plenty of time for conversation.

If you are one of the 70 people who weren't able to attend this reunion, you need to know that we missed you! I heard many classmates asking "Where's (so-and-so) now?" or "Why aren't they here this time?" Please make every effort to come to the next reunion! You will find that plenty of people will want to talk to you, no one will judge you, and nearly all teenage pettiness has gone by the wayside. It may sound a bit trite, but it's true that "We're not just getting older, we're getting better!"

“I will be your God throughout your lifetime–until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.”
Isaiah 46:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid