Thankful


I'm thankful for God's love that never ends.

I'm thankful for family, I'm thankful for friends,

And for all the blessings God gives every day.

But these days, people like to downplay

The role God plays on Thanksgiving Day.


We’re thankful for turkeys and pumpkin pie,

For football games and stuff to buy

On Black Friday.

But 'though we’re thankful, who do we thank?

The stores, each other, ourselves, the bank?

It's great to be glad for the things we've got,

But I'll admit that I'm feeling rather distraught

At the very thought 

That God himself has no part to play

In current traditions of Thanksgiving Day.


We watch Macy's parade and football matches,

Gather with family and friends in large batches;

We eat and we drink until everyone's merry.

(Or some families fight; that gets mighty scary.)

God's name isn't mentioned in many a place.

Have we forgotten who made the whole human race?

Will we think of the One Who loves us the most?

Will we thank Him today, praise our God with the boast

That He loves us and saves us, and gives all we need?

That He never will leave us? That's guaranteed!


I thank God today that He made you and me,

And I pray that, someday, you truly will see

How He loves you and cares for you every day. 

It's not just a cliché.

It's true: He loves you.

We can thank Him today.



You are my God, and I will praise you! You are my God, and I will exalt you!
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.

Psalm 118:28-29





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid