Midnight Movie

Whoever thought that it would be such a great risk to simply attend a midnight movie premier?  It's just good, family fun, right?  Hundreds of people in Aurora, Colorado, didn't think that their behavior, two nights ago, was at all risky.  But now the story is all over the news, about how one deranged man did so much more than just ruin a fun family activity.  In a few agonizing minutes, he terrorized the young theater audience, killing a dozen people and wounding dozens more.

I'm sure that it is statistically more dangerous for me to drive my car than it is to attend a movie.  

We are a very trusting society.  I trust that the food I buy in the local supermarket is safe to eat.  I trust that the water that gushes from my faucet is pure enough to use for washing and drinking.  I trust that our family doctors will prescribe safe medications, and that pharmacists will fill those prescriptions appropriately.  I trust that drivers will stop at pedestrian crossings when I walk across the street.  I trust that my children are safe in their schools. And I trust that I can safely take my children to play in the park, swim at the city pool, or view a movie at the local theater.  Yet it takes only one person to destroy the sense of trust that we have in the people around us.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the survivors of this movie massacre will never again want to view a movie in a theater.  Even those who were not physically injured will never forget that horror-filled night.  Many will need therapy for a very long time before they can begin to feel safe again.  And all because of one man.

What about him, anyway?  We don't know why he did what he did.  According to news accounts, he had been preparing for this event for several months.  His planning was meticulous.  By his standards, his mission was a success.  But I suspect that he will never see the inside of a prison; his plea will be  "not guilty by reason of insanity," or something similar.  It seems likely that he is severely mentally ill, out of touch with reality, destined to live out his life in a psychiatric facility--after all, who in their right mind would do something like this?

We mourn with those who have lost family members and friends.  We pray for healing for those who have been injured.  We decry the loss of innocence for so many young people who lived through unspeakable agony.  We empathize with the police officers, firefighters, and other emergency responders who can't yet come to grips with the scene of devastation that they witnessed and worked so hard to alleviate.  We will keep them all in our prayers in the days and weeks to come.

Yet, these are not the only victims.  I think of this man's parents, who undoubtedly did their best to raise him to be a responsible citizen.  I think of his grandparents, siblings, other relatives, and classmates, whose lives are forever changed because of his actions.  In one brief instant, he has destroyed the reputations and tranquility of those who were closest to him, even though they most likely had little or nothing to do with his murderous actions.  They, too, need our prayers.

As I was watching the comprehensive news report last evening, I was gratified to see and hear a survivor of the Columbine school shootings in 1999, which happened just a few miles from Aurora.  He stated that he had forgiven the shooters who had killed his sister and so many classmates back then.  He went on to say that his act of forgiveness had freed him to get on with his life. 

Many are saying that the theater shooter's actions are unforgivable.  Surely, his senseless act of mass murder is horrendous.  It will certainly be difficult for the survivors and victims' families to forgive him.  However, the act of forgiveness doesn't excuse the horrible things someone has done; instead, it frees the survivors to move past a terrible event so they can go on to lead fulfilling lives.  It may take a long time, but I can't help but think that they, too, will be more content after they are able to forgive. 

Can God forgive even a mass murderer?  Of course he can, if that man repents and seeks God's forgiveness.  So, as hard as it is, I'll pray for this man, too, that he'll come to understand what an awful thing he has done, and turn to God for redemption and forgiveness.  Our gracious God is the only one who can truly help him now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid