First Snow

http://autumn-pictures.com/snow/snow-autumn.jpg















First snow of the season, right on schedule.  I think we get more snow in October, here in western Nebraska, than in December.  Some winters, it seems like most of our snow falls in October and March.  This year, we'll take moisture any time, in any form.  Perhaps the .35 of an inch of precipitation that came with this storm will boost our yearly total above the six inch mark.  That's still well below normal, but we'll take it.

The rain and snow we've had in the past week or two will water in the winter wheat for the farmers.  It should also prevent some range fires.  It was a bit of a shock to have below freezing temperatures so early in October, after so many months of scorching heat, but I think that the cooler weather is a relief for many of us.  This week's frost will kill most outdoor allergens, and the moisture has washed the air nice and clean, so asthma sufferers like me should be able to breathe easier. 

My preschoolers equate snow with winter.  Yesterday, as the freshly fallen snow blanketed the playground, it was a little hard to convince anyone that fall has just begun, and winter is still a long way off.  This morning, even nine-year-old Levi was asking how soon we can go skiing.  Next week's trips to the pumpkin patch should convince the kids that it is still fall.  And, as the leaves continue to change color and fall from the trees, they will understand that autumn will really be with us for awhile.


I just want to enjoy fall for a few more weeks.  I like walking to school with Levi in the crisp, cool mornings.  I relish the sight of the ever-changing trees, as the fading green leaves gradually meld into yellows and oranges, and even purples.  I love the sound of crunching leaves underfoot.

I'm never ready for cold weather, but I like it better when snow covers the ground, so I'm hoping for a snowy winter.  I'd like to pull out my cross country skis this year, and glide silently through a few inches of freshly fallen snow.  This year, I'd even welcome a three day blizzard, if it means I can stay home from school with the kids to enjoy some rare snow days in front of the fireplace, playing board games and sipping hot chocolate with marshmallows.  And, if anyone complains, I'll just remind them, once again, that "we really need the moisture!"

Before winter officially arrives, though, I need to finish preparing for fall.  Tomorrow, I should pick that one orange pumpkin in my garden.  I need to pull up the dying beans and tomato plants and pumpkin vines.  I have to find my scarecrow and other fall decorations and put them out before it's too late. (I know I have some Indian corn somewhere.)  Then, in another week or so, I'll need to pull out the rakes so we can begin to corral all those fallen leaves that will soon blanket the yard.  And, I'll keep praying for rain.  We desperately need more precipitation in any form, but I'm willing to wait another month or two for more snow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid