Playing Bass

I guess you don't see many women playing electric bass these days--especially women my age.  Perhaps it's because the bass is a low instrument, similar in register to a man's low voice.  Or, maybe it's because it's such a stretch for most women to reach the tuning pegs and manage the fingering.  Most likely, though, it's just because the bass is often considered to be a rock instrument, and rock bands are usually made up of young, male musicians.  I don't know for sure, and I really don't care; I don't pay much attention to the occasional odd looks and comments that come my way.

I know that my playing is somewhat unconventional.  Because of my arthritis and other related issues, I sit on a stool to play.  I usually use a pick to protect my thumb and fingers from further cracks caused by the combination of our dry climate and too much job-related hand washing.  I have to use two music stand lights so I can see well enough to follow the music, especially when I want to sing along.  In spite of all of these necessary accommodations, I'm still able to play with our church's worship team.  (Thanks, Pastor Phil!)

Bill was the first person I ever knew who owned and played a bass.  He had played a stand-up bass in high school.  When we were first married, he played electric bass briefly with Glory Bound, a Lincoln-based Christian band.  But, the thing about an electric bass is that you have to play it with a diversified group of musicians; it is certainly not a solo instrument.  Back in the 1970s, only band members played basses, and churches did not have bands.  So, early in our marriage, Bill and his dad decided to cannibalize his seldom-used bass amp for parts to incorporate into two huge, new speakers for our stereo.  So much for playing his bass--it's nearly impossible to play a bass without an amplifier.

I never planned to play bass.  I had learned to play the guitar when I was twelve; I always considered the guitar to be my instrument, and I played it quite well.  Over the years, I used my guitar when I taught preschool and elementary music, accompanied church choirs, led singing at camps and family reunions, and played with several worship teams.  Then, a few years ago, my left hand and wrist started hurting whenever I played guitar for more than a few minutes.  When someone lamented that our church's worship team really needed a bass player, I thought of Bill's unused bass, just gathering dust at home, and I decided to give it a try.

I had played Bill's bass once before, years ago, for a church promo.  Bill had been slated to play, but was needed to help with the actual recording process, so he gave me a quick lesson on his electric bass, and I played very basic bass for the recording.  It was fun!  But, it was nearly thirty years before I picked up the bass again.

You would think that any guitarist could play bass.  After all, the notes and fingering are the same.  I soon found out, though, that the bass's hefty strings require a different kind of touch.  I also discovered that my guitar calluses weren't quite sufficient for playing bass--they weren't located in quite the right places.  So I practiced a lot, learned essential rhythms and techniques, and grew bigger and better calluses on my fingers.  The whole process of learning a new instrument has stretched my thinking and encouraged my creativity.  As an added benefit, I found that my hand was hurting much less when I played bass instead of guitar, and after subsequent surgery for two trigger fingers, I can usually play the bass without any pain.

And what a privilege it is to play bass at church!  I feel like God has given me a second chance.  Since my hand surgery, I could probably still play the guitar for worship for a song or two at a time, but it just isn't necessary.  In fact, most people in our church don't know that I play guitar, because the bass has become my primary instrument.  I never thought I could enjoy it so much; I wouldn't even have tried if my hand had not been hurting.  It's funny how God works out things like that.  As much as we complain about the changes that he allows in our lives, we don't always stop to think that he might have something even better in store for us.  So, for now, I praise him for leading me to lead others in joyful worship, with the bass.

"Praise the Lord.  Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the saints."  Psalm 149: 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid