Popcorn, Gin, and Dr. Who


https://housewaresandbeyond.com/images/items/11440/jpg/Back-To-Basics-PC17589-6-Quart-Stir-Crazy-Popcorn-Popper.jpg

I love fresh, lightly buttered popcorn, with just a little salt, and a tall glass of ice water on the side.  Even though popcorn doesn't have much nutritional value, it's a perfect snack, really--low in calories and high in fiber.  Microwaved popcorn will do in a pinch, but there's nothing like the popcorn made in our Stir Crazy corn popper, or even popped, the old-fashioned way, on top of the stove.

Bill has been fixing me a lot of popcorn lately, since I've been sick, because it helps get the gunk out of my throat.

In fact, I haven't eaten so much popcorn since we lived in Michigan.  Back then, thirty-some years ago, Bill fixed popcorn almost every winter evening, after supper.  It was cheap, easy to make, filling, and delicious.  Then, more often than not, he would lie down on our furry brown couch, propped on a couple of pillows, with his bowl of popcorn balanced securely in the crook of his arm, while I sat cross-legged on the floor beside him.  I would pull the footstool close enough to hold the discard pile for our usual evening game of Gin Rummy. 

Our living room was cozy, with just enough room for the couch and one chair, and some rustic barn-wood shelves that a previous homeowner had installed in the corner to hold a miniscule T.V. and a few books.  Since we lived seven miles outside of Traverse City, there was no cable television, and no satellite T.V. available at that time, either, even if we could have afforded it.  So, we were left with only three very grainy, black and white channels--two main networks and PBS.

That's when Bill first got hooked on Dr. Who.  It must have been a good filler program for PBS, because it seems like Dr. Who was always on in the evenings, while we played Gin.  The program quality would have been poor even if our T.V. had been decent.  I usually sat with my back to the T.V., but I could still hear it in the background, and every once in a while, our Gin Rummy game had to be delayed while Bill followed the action on the T.V. screen.

In recent months, I've noticed a lot of chatter on Facebook about the new Dr. Who series that has recently become popular.  Then, when Erin was here for Christmas vacation,  I noticed that she was watching it on the i-pad while she revised job applications on her laptop.  I guess it's true--"the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."  Multi-tasking to the sound of Dr. Who must be hereditary!

Now that Bill has learned that he can pull up some episodes of Dr. Who on the i-pad whenever he wants, I expect that he will be taking advantage of that new technology and improved quality to view the reincarnated version of the show he once enjoyed so much.  Now, I wonder, could I interest him in a bowl of popcorn and a game of Gin Rummy?

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Finnell, I don’t know why you chose to shout your unsolicited words of judgment on my blog. I deleted your original comments because I don’t want to subject my readers to your disparaging rants. However, after giving it some thought, I decided to reply:

    NO, I WILL NOT DIE IN MY SINS! Because “The blood of Jesus Christ (God’s) Son cleanses us from all sin” and “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1: 7, 9) Yes, I am a sinner, as are you, and all other people. We can all say, with the Apostle Paul, “For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it… What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:18-20, 24-25)

    I am so thankful that God sent Jesus to rescue me from sin! You know what John 3: 16 says: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only
    Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” So, thanks to God’s tremendous love and grace, I am will not die in my sins, because I trust in Jesus. That’s all it takes, as Paul and Silas admonished the jailer in Acts 16: 31, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved.” I don’t have to keep the law perfectly, or stop sinning; no matter how hard I try, I just can’t be perfect. But I don’t have to be, because Jesus has taken care of that problem for me, once and for all, just because he loves me.

    I welcome the respectful comments of any reader who chooses to respond to my blog, but I will continue to delete inflammatory responses. If you are committed to sharing the Good News of Jesus with people you encounter, perhaps you should consider using the “most excellent way” found in 1 Corinthians 12 and 13: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”

    I will leave you with these words: “To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore. Amen.” (Jude 24-25)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid