More Than a Valentine


It's been forty years since Bill and I spent our first Valentine's Day together.  We had only known each other for a month or so, but it was long enough for both of us to realize that we might be spending a lifetime together.

We had met in the middle of January at a Methodist church in Lincoln, where we had both been asked to play guitar and lead singing for a weekend Lay Witness Mission.  It was funny, really, because we knew many of the same people, who assumed that we already knew each other, too.

I remember the first time I saw him, as Bill came in the door of the church on that bitter cold Saturday, red-headed, bigger than life, wearing a bulky down jacket and "waffle stompers"--boots that made his feet look even bigger than they were--and carrying his guitar.  For a split second, it was as if God was shining a spotlight on Bill, just for me to see, as if to say "Here he is!"  I remember feeling mildly astonished, and then totally unconvinced that God would have focused my attention on Bill in that way. 

Bill and I attended two different colleges outside of Lincoln, just a few miles apart.  He called me a day or two after the Lay Witness weekend, and it wasn't long before he was calling me every day, and driving over to see me several times a week.  He didn't have money for anything besides gas for his car, so we took lots of walks, and spent plenty of time in my dorm's dreary basement lounge.  That's where we were one weekend afternoon, sometime around Valentine's Day, when Bill surprised me with the first gift he ever gave me.

It was a small, black, wooden cross, hanging from a length of black thread.  Bill had carved it for me himself, from a piece of ebony that he had originally intended to use to repair a guitar.  It was a fitting first gift, because it represented the two things that brought us together, God and music.

Eventually, we bought a gold chain for the cross.  I wore it on our wedding day.  I still wear it often.  That little cross was much more meaningful than any Valentine card that Bill could have bought for me, and better than flowers or chocolate, those more traditional Valentine's Day gifts.  It was a promise for our future together, a symbol of Jesus' love for us that forms the foundation of our marriage.  Forty years ago, this simple cross necklace was more than just a Valentine.  Now, forty years later, it remains a tangible reminder of the one who loved us first.


We love because he first loved us.  1 John 4: 19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid