Frosted

I got my hair cut today. I visit my hair stylist every four weeks so I can avoid the "shaggies." All she ever does for me is cut my hair. I gave up perms way back in the 90's, when I finally determined that natural, straight hair, was better than frizz, at least for me.

Since then, I suppose I've carried the natural look a little farther than most women my age do. You see, I've never colored my hair. Never.

I remember those days, long ago, when it was almost a sin to dye your hair. I remember that Miss Clairol slogan, "only her hairdresser knows for sure," meaning that your dyed hair could look so natural that no one would ever guess you (gasp) dyed it. If you're feeling a little nostalgic, you can click here to see the actual commercial.

In recent years, as I am still raising children, I've thought about dying my hair so my kids' friends will be more likely to treat me like the mom I am, instead of the grandma I appear to be. I can't help but wonder if store clerks would be less likely to offer me a senior discount if my hair were not so, well, gray, or, as I prefer to say, frosted.

Why is it that some older men can look so distinguished with their salt-and-pepper hair, while women of the same age just look old?

Perhaps I should consider myself to be retro. After all, frosted hair was all the rage back in the 60's. And even now, I've noticed that men and women of all ages are still frosting their hair. They look so stylish, so chic, so young, in spite of their hair color.
   

Perhaps I should wear more makeup and go after that shaggy look that seems so popular right now, even though I hate it when my bangs cover my eyebrows and hang in my eyes. But, I guess that kind of style has never been important to me. When it comes down to it, I would rather be comfortable than stylish.

Not too long ago, someone commented that she wished she was as brave as I was when I made the choice to keep my natural hair color. Another person asked what my natural hair color was, as if she thought I was frosting my hair on purpose!

I have never considered myself to be brave or trendy about my hair color, of all things. I've never yearned for blonde hair, even when those annoying ads insisted that "blondes have more fun." And I never even thought about bleaching my hair so I would look more like my blonde daughters.

Oh, I don't consider hair dye to be a sinful commodity. Mostly, I've been lazy and cheap. Instead of dying my hair, I would rather spend my time and money on other things, like gardening and reading and making music. And most of the time, I've been content to live with the hair color God has given me. Sometimes, though, I can't help but wonder why he couldn't have waited another decade or two to give me that oh-so-fashionable, frosted look.



Comments

  1. I love your hair and have always appreciated the natural look. I've never colored my hair (or beard), and I'm getting more blonde every day. Patricia quit coloring her hair the last couple of years, and I told her how much I liked it. So, bravo for you! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janet! Your hair is lovely! I began dying my hair (myself) because a friend in college saw that it was going grey in my early thirties. She talked me into it, and my family likes it, I often ask them why as I would just let it go grey.
    I also cut my own hair, so that's why it looks a little odd now and then! I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about dying your hair--once you start, it can be pretty hard to stop. I've never been brave enough to cut my own hair. Kudos to you for that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid