To Tell the Truth


When I was in late grade school and Junior High, my summer days were well-scripted. Most days, I slept in until 9:00 or so, then got dressed, and had breakfast, and read until lunch time. Technically, I was probably supposed to be monitoring Dan and Laura, if they were in the apartment and not following Mom or Dad around the hotel, but realistically, they didn't need much oversight, since they were probably reading, too, or watching TV, or playing quietly.

In the summer, we usually ate lunch in the MaryEtta Cafe, because when Mom worked in the hotel in the mornings, she certainly didn't have time to fix lunch for the family. Then, after lunch, I often watched a couple of game shows on the lobby television (more about that later) and walked, or rode my bike, to the library, three blocks north of the hotel, to return the books I had checked out a day or two earlier, and check out four more. At 2:45 every summer afternoon, my presence was expected in the cafe, to wait on coffee break customers during the busiest half hour of the afternoon.

After that chore was completed, Dan or I would run to the corner so we could see the First National Bank sign and, if the thermometer there showed a temperature of 82 degrees or higher, we threw on our swimming suits and rode our bikes to the city pool. We always rode home again by 5:30, and had supper in our apartment, as long as there wasn't an event in one of the party rooms.

When there was a large event, I usually helped serve, while Dan and Laura waited in the kitchen, or played on the basement swings, directly below the kitchen, until Mom and I were done serving. Then, we ate banquet leftovers for supper.

After supper, I usually watched a little TV or played a board game with the rest of the family, and read some more, until bedtime. Occasionally, I sat with a new desk clerk, still reading my book, available to answer any questions and help as needed.

Now, getting back to those game shows; I'm not sure why I watched them in the lobby instead of in our apartment. I would guess that Laura and Mom might have been napping upstairs, so I might have been in the lobby so the apartment would stay quiet while they napped. But, it could also be that the lobby TV was in color, while our apartment TV was black and white. Regardless, I liked to watch the afternoon game shows, and I learned a lot of trivia because of that habit.

One of my favorite shows was called "To Tell the Truth." The show featured a panel of four celebrities who tried to identify a contestant with an unusual occupation or experience. This contestant was accompanied by two impostors who pretended to be that same person. The celebrity panelists took turns questioning the three contestants. Although the impostors were allowed to lie, the real challenger was sworn "to tell the truth." After questioning, the panel attempted to identify which of the three challengers was telling the truth. Finally, the game show host would say, "Will the real (occupation) please stand up?" After a little feinting and posturing from all three contestants, the honest contestant would rise out of his or her chair while the audience laughed and applauded.

To tell the truth, we all, at times, pretend to be someone or something we are not. We are impostors who like to hide our mistakes, or justify them. Like the Pharisees from Biblical times, we pretend to keep all of the laws perfectly. We categorize sins as trivial, bad, and the worst. You know, trivial sins don't really hurt anybody, at least in our eyes. Bad sins are the ones I hide from the people around me, sins like theft and deception. And the worst sins are the ones I would never do, at least I hope not, sins like child abuse and rape and murder.

Unfortunately for me, God doesn't categorize sin. So, just one little, trivial sin is enough to separate me from him. But, as a Christian, I am different from some impostors. Different, not better. Just wonderfully forgiven, because Jesus has made it possible through his death and resurrection.

I still sin every day. I don't want to; I don't plan to, just as the Apostle Paul said of himself in Romans 7: 18-19:  "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing."  But Paul didn't stop there, just as God didn't leave us in our sinful misery. As Paul continues in Romans 7: 24-25: "Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Perhaps someone should ask all the real impostors to please stand up, confess their sins, and accept God's forgiveness.

Oh, wait. Someone did!

Impostor? I'm on the roster.
Hypocrite? Every bit.
Pharisee? Unfortunately.
God's grace--He took my place.
So, I'm forgiven. Going to heaven!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid