Black Cat

A black cat crossed my path today. 
I spotted him on the edge of the street, standing at attention as my car approached. He stood up on all fours and slowly began to cross the street right in front of me. I stopped my car to let him pass, and he paused in the middle of the street to look directly at me, his piercing, green eyes gleaming in the morning sunlight. Then, he continued on his way to the other side of the street, in no hurry to reach his destination. 

 "Black Cat, Black Cat, 
  What do you see?"
"I see a person looking at me."




He was a young, fluffy cat, pure black, without even a speck of white fur, obviously clean and well-loved by somebody, even though he wasn't wearing a collar. In spite of the old traditions that insist it is bad luck to have a black cat cross your path, especially so close to Halloween, I don't expect to have any bad luck today. In fact, I was thrilled to see such a perfect, black cat with strikingly green eyes. He looked so soft, if not particularly friendly, with just enough of an attitude to keep himself out of trouble.

Cats, with their aloof personalities, were thought to be gods in ancient Egypt. The Israelites and early Christians insisted that cats were false gods, at best. I suppose it was a logical leap that so-called witches, the embodiment of evil during the late middle ages, would have feline pets who were also accused of being evil. 

Black cats, in particular, can easily disappear in the dark, with only their gleaming eyes and blood-chilling shrieks giving away their presence in the forbidding shadows. S-p-o-o-k-y! But not really evil. Not bad luck, either. Cats are simply another of God's amazing creations, doing what they were created to do--hunt for their prey in the darkness.

We don't need be be afraid of black cats, which are relatively harmless. But, all superstitions aside, there are some things on this Earth that terrify us, and rightly so. When we are faced with legitimate danger, we can trust in God to be there with us, always. 

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid