Full Moon Rising

It was already dark last night, when I set off with Jackson for our evening jaunt. We headed east, and had only walked a couple of blocks before I noticed the moon, not quite full, rising above the horizon directly in front of us.


There was no way I could have missed it, gleaming brightly in the darkening sky, reflecting the sun's light onto the sleepy town below. 


Tonight, just at sunset, I stopped my car to take pictures of Scottsbluff National Monument, right in front of me, as I drove home. No one could miss the pink-tinged, golden splendor of today's setting sun, but how many times do we drive on by, ignoring the beauty of God's creation, wrapped up in the cares of this world?


Tonight, I almost missed the moonrise. Jackson and I headed south, and then west for nearly a mile before we turned north. I spotted the Big Dipper, easily visible and recognizable in the sky above me. It seemed, well, BIG, and bright and beautiful, with each individual star glittering in exactly the right place to form the whole constellation, just as God had planned so long ago, when he first created the stars.

We were only a couple of blocks from home before we turned once more, finally making our way eastward. And there it was, the full moon, radiantly rising--but it didn't appear to be nearly as bright as the closest street light.


How often do we let our problems, or even our triumphs, overshadow the majesty of God's amazing creation?

Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens...  
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
    and the son of man that you care for him?
Yet you have made him a little lower than the angels
    and crowned him with glory and honor...

Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid