October Ups and Downs

October really flew by this year, but some days, it seemed as though life was just creeping along. Either way, I have been having a hard time keeping up.

Bill and I spent a few, fabulous days in New Orleans at the beginning of the month; then I had oral surgery, two-and-a-half hours away from home, in Fort Collins, which has meant three car trips back and forth, so far, and some unexpected, coexisting, health issues. I was just beginning to recover when our 13-year-old cat, Charlie, had to stay at the animal hospital three different times, before we made the hard decision to end his suffering. In the midst of it all, I was excited when my new children's book, Grandma, Whatcha Doing? was published and became available for purchase on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. All of a sudden, I had to scramble to put together an author webpage, which can be found at https://grandmajanetk.wordpress.com/, and set up author pages on Amazon and Goodreads.


So many decisions with so little energy...

It didn't help that we had three snowstorms in October. That's right, three, with unseasonably cold weather that is still with us. Once again, for the second year in a row, I feel like winter has hijacked fall. (You can go to last year's blog post to read more of my thoughts about that, in poetry form.)

While I have been recuperating from surgery, I haven't had the ambition or energy for daily walks. I would be more motivated if the temperature were more cooperative. I like to ease into my cold weather walks, but it looks like winter is here to stay. In the last two or three weeks, I've only met my 10,000 step goal a couple of times. When Jackson gazes up at me longingly, hoping I will put on my coat and grab his leash, I have let him down, more often than not.


I tell myself that November will be different, if not warmer. Maybe I'll regain my resolve to walk every day, if only for Jackson's sake. We started off on the right foot today, on this first day of November. I bundled up to ward off the 35 degree weather, thankful that the wind wasn't blowing, for a change. I didn't walk 10,000 steps today, but I did get out and walk for half an hour. It was a good start to a new month.

Have you noticed that life always comes with ups and downs, sometimes one right after the other? It's been that way forever. Check out the story of Adam and Eve, or Noah, or Abraham, in Genesis. Thankfully, God gave them hope in their tough situations. Today, I remember that He wants to do the same for me--and for you.


Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid