Padiddle

I passed a padiddle today. It's a real word, you know, a satisfying word that bursts from my mouth at just the right time--padiddle, a North American slang word for a vehicle with a burned out headlight.

Bill introduced me to padiddles before we were married, loudly shouting out the word as we drove, startling me enough that I jumped in my seat and croaked, "What???" He enlightened me right away, wondering aloud why I had never before heard of a padiddle. Then, he took his explanation a step further, as he outlined the finer points of the road game that has evolved, with points being tallied as passengers compete to see who can spy the most padiddles on a road trip.

It's inevitable that all drivers will encounter their fair share of padiddles as they drive at night. Cars that are forced to navigate with only one working headlight become driving hazards, sometimes mistaken for motorcycles, or missed altogether, until they are close enough to reveal their true identities.

It is equally inevitable that a vehicle with a malfunctioning headlight or taillight with be pulled over by a friendly neighborhood police officer, who will issue a fix-it ticket. If the headlight isn't fixed promptly, it is quite possible that another officer will pull you over again, so it is always prudent to fix the headlight as soon as possible.

And that can be a problem. A simple headlight replacement can cost hundreds of dollars at a car repair shop, because some car manufacturers have made their headlights nearly impossible to access. I know some do-it-yourself-ers who looked up the instructions on YouTube, but still struggled to reach the right screws and install the right light bulb. Apparently, the right tool can make all the difference--that, and plenty of patience.




I know what it's like to have a padiddle of my own, both on my car, and on my face. It's relatively easy to spot a burned out headlight on an approaching car, but it can be more difficult to notice an eye that doesn't work. In my case, it wasn't a police officer who issued a fix-it ticket; instead, my optometrist referred me to an ophthalmologist, who referred me to a surgeon who was able to repair the hole in my retina, leaving a little scar tissue that prevents perfect vision, but allows for much better eyesight than before.

I have no doubt, though, that I would have been issued a real ticket for impaired driving if I had ventured out after dark, or anywhere outside my familiar community, before my macular hole was repaired. As it was, I strained to read or see anything in the distance, and I stumbled even more often than usual. The surgery was intricate and expensive, and the recovery period was challenging, but it was essential for me so I could regain the vision I had lost. 

Your eye is like a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is filled with light. But when your eye is unhealthy, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is! Matthew 6:22-23

That first eye surgery happened a few years ago. You can read more about it here and hereSince then, and after two more eye surgeries for cataracts and an endothelial (corneal) transplant, I have come to appreciate my restored eyesight. When I was forced to live with only one functioning eye for several weeks, it was challenging to complete my normal, everyday tasks. At the time, I thought I was coping pretty well, but I was surprised to see how much better I could see, and function, after I recovered from my eye surgeries.

If you find yourself struggling to find your way in this world, maybe you need Jesus, our great Physician, to restore your vision and give you the light you need. You might be surprised to find out how much better you can see.

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” John 8:12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid