Walking With Purpose

It's been several years since I started walking, first a few days a week, and now almost every day, year-round. At first, I didn't really have a goal, other than to get some regular exercise. I took the dog with me because no one else in my family had any desire to walk with me--and I didn't want to walk alone.

It wasn't long until I started using the health app on my phone to keep track of my steps. However, I soon realized that my chosen method wasn't very accurate because I don't usually carry my phone around with me at home. That's when I began to wear the free smart watch Bill had been given at some conference. Now, I'm on my third smart watch...

I have been able to meet my somewhat arbitrary daily goal of 10,000 steps for three seasons of the year, but it is harder in the winter. I don't like to walk outside when the weather is cold and windy! Actually, my asthma and arthritis both act up in extreme weather, so I guess I have a good excuse to stay indoors when the weather doesn't cooperate. But I much prefer walking outside to using my inside strider as an alternative.

In the beginning, every route was so new and interesting that I had plenty to look at and occupy my mind. And besides, Jackson needed to learn some basic manners, so I worked hard to get him "in shape" to walk with me. Eventually, though, I grew tired of walking the same routes day after day, so I expanded my routes out of my immediate neighborhood, and began to drive a little ways to walk more interesting paths near Scotts Bluff and the North Platte River. 

This picture incorporates Scotts Bluff, the river, one of my favorite paths, and the ever-present wintertime geese.

The more I walked, the more I began to expand my purpose beyond just healthy excercise: 

  • I discovered that I enjoy studying the architecture and landscaping of the homes and buildings I pass.
  • I found a free phone app that will easily identify unfamiliar plants.
  • I like to observe the local wildlife.
  • I love walking with a friend or family member so we can use the time to catch up with each other's lives.
  • When I walk alone, or just with Jackson, I usually listen to my daily Bible reading on my phone, pray for the people I know, and praise God for his wonderful creation.
  • This past summer, I learned how to walk three dogs at once!
  • Sometimes, I talk on the phone as I walk, but I seldom initiate any calls.
  • I've never written a song or blog as I walk, but I've often practiced or edited a new song, keeping time with my steps, and I think through many blog ideas as I walk.
  • Occasionally, I walk with a practical destination in mind, such as the post office when I need to drop something in the mail.
  • I can't say that I like picking up other people's trash, but I do it anyway, at least some of the time. 
  • I find myself taking numerous pictures of the beautiful landscape and abundant wildlife that I used to take for granted. In the process, I've learned to enjoy my relatively new photography hobby.
The thousands of geese that winter along the river will soon head north. I can hardly wait for Spring!

Even the graffiti under the bridge adds much-needed color to this drab winter.
 
Walking (and hiking more challenging terrain) has added an unexpected dimension to my life, and has enriched my life tremendously. It's fascinating to see how God can use every day activities to bless us in so many ways.

For we walk by faith, not by sight—
2 Corinthians 5:7

O people, the Lord has told you what is good, 
And this is what he requires of you:
To do what is right, to love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God. 
Micah 6:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid