No Key? No Problem

I realized something not too long ago, and it made me stop and think:  This is the first time in nearly 35 years that I haven't had a key to the church we attend, and I don't mind at all.

I first got my own key to Trinity Lutheran Church in Traverse City, Michigan, when I started teaching kindergarten at the school in 1977.  I used the key if I needed to work in my classroom on the weekends, but I can't say that I needed it desperately, because I was never the first to arrive in the mornings. (I've never been a morning person.)  Still, it was convenient to have the key, because I didn't have to worry about tracking down my principal, or walking next door to the parsonage in hopes of finding the pastor at home, if I needed to get into the church and adjoining school.  I found out rather early in my teaching career that I needed God's help and guidance daily so I could do my job well, so I soon developed the habit of slipping into the sanctuary for a few minutes of prayer time every morning before my students arrived.

When we moved to Gering a few years later, Bill needed a key to our church first, when he was asked to be the Sunday School superintendent, but I kept the key on my key ring because I was more likely than Bill to use the key during the week, for meetings and Bible Studies.  Later, I used the key much more often than he did when I started teaching in the church's new preschool program.  Our preschool staff was small, so I was often the one to unlock and lock the door at the beginning and end of each school day.  I could usually find a few minutes, though, even on the busiest days, to sit in the sanctuary, alone with God and my thoughts for a little while.

When I became the daycare director for another church, I had several keys to many of the church doors, and more responsibility than I really wanted.  Most of the time, one of the teachers arrived at 5:45 to open the center, but I had to do it whenever she couldn't.  It wasn't unusual for me to lock the doors at the end of a long day, at 6:00 or 6:30.  There were countless times when I fled to the sanctuary for the respite and guidance that I needed to do the hardest job I've ever had.  Yet I almost felt guilty taking that time with God, because I knew that some of the board members didn't understand my need to include God in the ministry to the daycare children and staff.  (It was amazing to me to find out that so many church members considered the daycare center to be a burdensome business that had little to do with the church, rather than a vital ministry to the community.)

There's nothing quite like worshiping together with the whole congregation to bring each of us closer to our loving God, but there is something about walking into a silent, empty church building that draws me to God, too.  I have often been comforted or strengthened during trying times when I was able to sit alone in a dim, quiet sanctuary, seeking God's presence, guidance, and reassurance.  Friends and co-workers have told me that they are a little afraid to be alone in such a cavernous building, but I've never felt afraid in a church, because I know that God is always there.  I know, too, that He promises to be with us all the time, wherever we are--not just at church.  I found out a long time ago that I don't need to sit in church, either alone or with a full congregation, to be aware of God's presence.  He promises to be with me wherever I am.

Now that I teach public school, where no sanctuary is available, I find that my car has become my "sanctuary."  Most mornings, I'm able to spend a few minutes with God as I drive to work.  I'm always thankful for His presence and guidance, because even public school teachers need His help to do their jobs well.  Besides, I am convinced that any job can be a ministry.

Sometimes, I miss those times when I could use my key to gain entrance to the church building and spend some time in the sanctuary, assured that no one else was likely to interrupt my time there, alone with God.  But I don't really miss the nearly overwhelming sense of responsibility that can come with having that key.

No key?  No problem, because I know that I can talk to God any time and anywhere.  But, I wonder why more Christians don't take advantage of those times when churches are unlocked, to just slip into a quiet sanctuary for a few minutes of meditation and conversation with God.  And why don't we all pray often for the pastors, secretaries, teachers, and church leaders who have the privilege and responsibility of possessing keys to our church buildings?  They need us to lift them up before God in prayer so they will be able to accomplish the tasks He has prepared for them.  He is willing and ready to help, but He likes His people to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid