Fibro Fog, and Other Minor Annoyances

I've vowed that I will write mostly positive things in my blog, so I don't often dwell on health concerns--either my own or others'.  It's been said that "everybody has something," and I suppose I'd just as soon be stuck with some relatively annoying ailments rather than more serious, life-threatening diseases like heart disease or cancer.  I guess I should be glad that my pharmacists (and their assistants) know me by name.  At least, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and asthma don't require chemotherapy.

One of the reasons I enjoy teaching preschoolers is that young children really don't care if my symptoms are showing.  When half the class is coughing because of colds, my occasional shortness of breath and cough fit right in.  On those days when I long for a nap, I can usually find someone to commiserate with me.  If I can't get the lid off a marker, an eager child is always ready to show me how strong he is.  And when I drop a crayon or spill my glass of water, I'm certainly not alone.  So what if I stutter or mix up my words?  What does it matter if I trip over a chair or an outstretched leg?  Preschoolers can relate to my annoying anomalies.  We laugh together at our clumsiness.

At school, I push myself to jump up and down, touch my toes, and waddle like a duck with my students.  At home, I'm grateful for the stairs that provide built-in exercise.  Writing my blog and playing the bass are both great therapy for my increasingly arthritic fingers.  I embrace those activities that force me to stay limber.  I refuse to sit around and complain about my annoying ailments.

I'm not yet ready to get a handicapped tag for my car, but there are some days when I need to park right next to the handicapped parking spot, as close as possible to the front door.  When I'm having a stumbly day, I'm glad for the excuse to hold onto Bill's arm as we walk together.  On those days when my mind is muddled because of "fibro fog," I keep pushing myself to do the best I can--and I'm thankful for modern medicines (and naps!) that ease my symptoms.

I find it interesting that the Apostle Paul mentioned the "thorn in the flesh," that he said was given by Satan to torment him. (Bible scholars surmise that this "thorn" may have been some serious disease or other physical condition.)  After pleading with God three times to take it away, Paul understood that God was able to work powerfully in his life precisely because of his weakness. "But (the Lord) said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses,... (and) in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."        2 Corinthians 12: 8-10

I pray that God will enable me to keep rejoicing in my weaknesses, day by day, just as Paul did, so that I can trust that God will use my weaknesses to show his great strength.  I hope that you, too, are able to trust in God to provide the strength you need for each day.   And when all else fails, take a nap!  After all, God invented sleep as a way for us to recharge our batteries. (Some of us just need more sleep than others do.)

"The joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid