Ten More Things?

My last blog listed ten things I love about my church.  I also mentioned that no church is perfect, so I suppose I could come up with ten things I don't like about my church, too, if I really tried.  You know, there's probably someone who rubbed me the wrong way at least once, or perhaps someone said something that I just don't agree with.  I'm sure I could think of someone whose lifestyle doesn't seem right.  And I bet I could think of a time when one of the pastors or other church leaders didn't quite measure up to my high standards.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with another list of ten things I don't like about my church, since it is made up of imperfect people.  But, I'd rather not. 

If we trust in Jesus, then God no longer sees our sin--he sees Jesus, and all that Jesus did for us when he died on the cross and rose again to take away our sin.  If God doesn't see my fellow Christians' forgiven sins, then why should I go looking for them?

I think that we need to beware of nit-picking in the church!  It's so easy to complain to a friend about some little thing (or person) that bugs me, when it would certainly be better to go directly to the person who has offended me, before rumors start to fly and that little thing becomes a big thing, so we can talk things out, apologize if necessary, and forgive one another.  And, we need to seek the truth together, because one person's perception of an incident may differ dramatically from what really happened.

When we feel like complaining, perhaps the best thing to do is pray.  Our pastors and church leaders need us to seek God's help on their behalf, so they can do their jobs well!  Their difficult jobs become even more challenging if they try to please everyone in the church, where there are nearly as many opinions as there are people.  And, of course, when good things are happening in the church, that old devil starts to sneak around, stirring things up, doing everything he can to make a mess of things.  He succeeds too often.

So what about those (hopefully, rare) times when there really is something seriously wrong in the church?  What if a person in authority just won't listen to your concerns?  What if that person is part of the problem?  I know from personal experience how hard it can be.  Your course of action should be the same: go to the person who has offended you, do everything you can to work things out, pray together if both of you are willing, apologize and forgive.  If the problem is still unresolved, talk to the church elders, keep praying, and seek God's guidance. It isn't an easy road, but it can draw you closer to God and lead to reconciliation among his people.

When I listed ten things that I love about my church, I really meant it!  I know that imperfections are inevitable, but I prefer to concentrate on the many good things that God is doing in the church.  Amazing things can happen when imperfect people focus on our perfect God, worshiping and serving him together.

Comments

  1. Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for a while... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'll check out your website!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid