Cleaning House

I hate house cleaning!  It seems so useless, because it's never really finished.  Just when I think the house is relatively clean, some child (and I use that term loosely, because children come in all sizes and ages) comes in and destroys my strenuous efforts in ten seconds or less.  Or, the dog raids a garbage can, stringing chewed Kleenex all over the house.  Besides, even looking at a vacuum cleaner or dust cloth makes my allergies and asthma kick in.  House cleaning makes me sick!

That's why I decided, several years ago, when I started working full-time, that I would use some of my wages to hire someone to clean my house.  It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.  What a luxury it was to come home from a long day at work, into a sparkling clean, fresh-smelling house!  I remember talking to my Grandma Vawser about this same subject, many years ago; Grandma told me how liberated she felt when she was able to hire a house cleaner in her later years.  A reliable house cleaner can mean freedom for those of us who hate to clean.

But, as they say, "all good things come to an end," and even the best house cleaners quit eventually.  I've been through four or five cleaners, some better than others.  When the most recent one quit last spring, I decided that it was time for Victoria and Levi to learn how to clean the house.  After all, Erin and Meagan had to help keep the house clean while they were still living at home.  I wouldn't be a good parent if I let our younger kids grow up without learning some useful household skills.  Everyone needs to know how to run a vacuum, scrub the floor, dust the furniture, and disinfect those dreaded bathrooms.

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with my philosophy of house cleaning.  That's why I've had to become a strict house cleaning supervisor. (Is that a nicer way to say "slave driver"?)  I'd much rather hand each child a list of expectations, as I can do with a paid professional.  I'd like to run a few errands and come home to a beautifully clean home, but it just doesn't work that way.  Instead, I dole out one or two chores at a time, along with some reasonable incentive--"First you do your work, then you can use your electronics for an hour."  Then, I check the corners to make sure that the vacuum didn't miss any obvious crumbs, and I stand over a reluctant toilet cleaner to make sure the toilet is totally sanitized.  If I truly want my kids to be well-educated in the fine arts of housekeeping, I'm afraid that house cleaning freedom will need to be a mere memory for me for the next few years.  (Sigh.)

Surely, an analogy is lurking somewhere in this house cleaning saga...

Just as our houses need to be cleaned, many of us aspire to keep our hearts and lives pure and clean.  Sometimes, we work very hard to clean up our own lives, but the results are never quite satisfying.  Just when we think that we've gotten our lives in good order, some little sin sneaks in and destroys our good intentions in a heartbeat.  Our efforts are futile.  No matter how hard we try to do things right, we miss the mark, time and time again. 

That's why Jesus came.  He is better than any mere house cleaner, because he comes in and cleans up our sin, removes it forever, sanitizes and sanctifies us.  He expects no payment; in fact, nothing we do can repay him for his service to us.  He does everything that needs to be done, if we will only let him.  He will never quit.  What a relief it is to know that his cleaning is sufficient for all of my messes! 


If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1: 9












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid