Even When

Sometimes life is hard, sometimes impossibly hard.  It is said that "into every life some rain must fall."  Why does it seem as if some people are cursed with one monsoon after another, while others complain about the briefest of sprinkles?  It doesn't seem fair.

Today, I think of my brother's family, who still mourn the loss of my nephew, Lowell, four years ago today.  Lowell, who had so much to live for, was killed in a car accident at the age of twenty-four.

I think of my sister's family; whose daughter, Kelly, died just a few weeks later, on her twenty-third birthday, in an ATV accident.  And, as if that wasn't enough to bear, my young great-niece, Ellie, died of cancer just a few months later.

Sometimes life seems so unfair.

It is tempting to blame God for life's inequities.  "How could he let this happen?  Why didn't he step in to prevent this tragedy?"  It is oh, so tempting to simply give up, to turn our backs on God, to "curse God and die," as Job's wife urged him to do after he, too, suffered great loss.

But, if life can be so difficult even when we know God is with us, I just can't imagine how horrible life would become if we shut him out completely.  He has never promised that we would lead easy, carefree lives here on Earth, but he has promised that he will never leave us or forsake us.

Facing tragedy alone is unbearable.  Facing tragedy with friends and family beside us is a bit easier.  Knowing that God is with us, even during the hardest times, gives us the glimmer of hope we need to get through the toughest storms of life.  So, for my family, and for anyone else who is struggling with hardship or grief, I pray that you will seek God's help when you need it, that you will ask him to stand by you, and that he will let you know, over and over again, just how much he cares.

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.
When the world is tossing me like a ship upon the sea,
Thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me.
 

In the midst of tribulation, stand by me.
When the hosts of hell assail, and my strength begins to fail,
Thou who never lost a battle, stand by me.

In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.
When I do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand,
Thou who knowest all about me, stand by me.
 

When I'm growing old and feeble, stand by me.
When my life becomes a burden, and I'm nearing chilly Jordan,
O Thou Lily of the Valley, stand by me.  
       
            (Ernest Tubb)


Even when God is with us, life may be hard.  But without him, hard things become impossible.  Even when life is unbearably hard, we can turn to the only one who offers hope, comfort, strength, peace, and eternal life. 

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.  And we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.” John 6: 68

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid