Fishing

We went fishing today, just for a couple of hours.  We drove the pickup all the way to Terry's Lake.  It's close enough that we almost could have walked, but we drove, anyway.  After all, we had to tote all of our fishing gear, chairs, and a picnic lunch.


When Bill and I were dating, he told me he loved to fish.  I think he may have been deceiving himself, at least a little; I think he really just enjoyed the time spent fishing with his dad, just as I enjoyed fishing with my family when I was growing up.

Since we lived in a hotel, we didn't have a yard, so I spent countless holidays and Sunday afternoons with my family, fishing and lazing the day away at one of many lakes in southeastern Nebraska and northeastern Kansas.  I loved fishing in the clear, shallow lake water, dangling a wormy hook in the midst of several small sunfish, hoping to entice one of them to lunge at my bait.  I think that sunfish are fun to catch and delicious, too.

I've missed going fishing with my family.  Maybe, at Levi's urging, we are starting a new family tradition.  Ever since spring finally made its appearance, Levi has been begging to go fishing again, so Bill made a quick WalMart run this morning to pick up a fishing license and a few other essentials, while the kids and I made egg salad sandwiches and a thermos full of peach tea.  Meagan and Andy joined us for our picnic, with Toby.  The weather was perfect: sunny, low seventies, with a slight breeze.  The sandwiches hit the spot, and the tea was nearly gone when we got home.


Neither Bill nor Levi caught any fish; neither one had much more than the merest nibble.  But, it didn't really matter.  It was a gorgeous day to be outside with family.  Besides, another fisherman gave us five trout he and his son had caught, so we will feast on grilled fish tomorrow.

Next time we go fishing, I'm going to get a fishing license, too.  I would love to spend an hour or two trying to convince some poor fish to latch onto my hook.  Now, if only I can convince someone to put that slimy worm on my hook for me...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid