Wedding Wishes

My niece, Lindsey, married her childhood friend, Brian, on Saturday.  It was a beautiful wedding.  The bride was glowing.  The flower girls and ring bearers were cute and well-behaved.   The recessional music was unique and awe-inspiring.  The reception was fun.  The food was good.  Yes, it was a beautiful wedding.

Yet, I wish for so much more for Lindsey and Brian.  I hope that their wedding day provides an inspiring beginning to a beautiful, lasting marriage.  I wish them happiness that lasts a lifetime.  I hope that they will continue to love each other day by day, year by year, with a love that grows and matures as time goes by.

But mere wishes amount to nothing.  As the old English proverb says, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."  If marriage were easy, all couples would stay together "'til death us do part."  Anything worthwhile, including a satisfying marriage, requires work.

So, instead of merely wishing Lindsey and Brian a happy life together, I pray that they will be willing to work hard to keep their marriage healthy.  I pray that God will give them the determination to keep loving each other, in good times and bad.  I pray that they will be able to forgive each other, over and over again.  I pray that they will support each other, listen to each other, share their dreams and disappointments, make time for each other, and treasure each other every day.  I pray that they will learn to trust God to provide all that they need.  I pray that, as the years go by, their love will never grow old.


Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.  1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Weddings and Too Many Funerals

Introducing Anna

A Little Covid